General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing Off - 2000 Honda Accord 4 cyl.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 05:58 PM
2kAccord
Unregistered
Default Timing Off - 2000 Honda Accord 4 cyl.

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I have a 2000 Honda Accord 2.3L 4 cyl. with manual trans. I've got about 105k, so I decided to change the timing belt. In trying to remove the crank nut, I believe that I messed up the timing. When I put the car back together, the starter would turn as if it had no load on it. I didn't hear any metalic noises when I was turning the motor over, so I don't think I bent any valves. I compression tested the motor to find that I had 0 compression. I think that I am off timing by a tooth or two, letting the valves stay open on the firing cylinders and letting the air fuel mix escape. I'd like some other opinions on this - I don't want to have to buy a new motor.

My second question is: How do I fix the timing? I'm thinking that I need to put the crank at TDC and align the timing marks on the camshaft to TDC. Is this correct?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 01-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Timing Off - 2000 Honda Accord 4 cyl.

remove the upper t-belt cover and valve cover and double chk the timing .. make sure you got the t-belt routed properly, put car on top dead , and chk the alignment marks on the camshaft , make sure that the up mark in the pulley is up and you are not 180 degree off,

Old 01-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

when all else fails..... provide a link
http://members.troublecodes.net/hond...ccordTbelt.jpg

Old 01-15-2007, 05:52 PM
2kAccord
Unregistered

Thanks. Those diagrams are helpful...much better than what I am using. Did it come out of Chiltons or Haynes?

Old 01-15-2007, 05:58 PM

It looks like it came out of the honda service manuals.... I'm guessing that he pulled them off of Alldata...

Old 01-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Helms manual is the best.
Just went back in the service dept. to the tech library and slice out the pages you want out of the manual Then take them home and throw them on the scanner.
Next use Macromedia Fireworks to put them all together in a .PNG file; then drag it to IRFANVIEW and sharpen a couple times andconvert it to .JPG
Remember to take the pages back the next day and tape them back in place. LOL

http://www.in.honda.com/RRAAApps/RRA...sp/rraalog.asp

Old 01-15-2007, 07:54 PM

do you always do things the hard way? *L* why not just download the manuals in PDF form then use adobe to "extract" the pages and save them as jpeg's?

Old 01-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

well I got fireworks[macromedia studio MX]for free from a friend, irfanview is a freebie program,[great for resize and conversion]and 'print key' freebie programlets me grab screen shots of the STUPID PDF files.
If you have a freebie program that converts those STUPID PDF files to JPG or GIF let me know.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:37 PM
2kAccord
Unregistered

I'm about the start putting my car back together and wanted to double check a couple things.

The crankshaft pulley doesn't appear to have the normal timing marks. It has an "UP" mark, but no horizontal marks to line up with the valve cover mating surface. Has anyone else run into this type of pulley? If so, what is the correct way to get TDC.

The crankshaft should be at TDC if the key for the timing/balancer belt pulley is pointed straight up to wards the "V" marker on the oil pump housing.

The front balance shaft is timed by pointer on the block, the rear is balanced by inserting a bolt into the maintainance hole and screwing it in all the way, about three inches.

Is there anything else I should be aware of? Thanks.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

"The crankshaft pulley doesn't appear to have the normal timing marks. It has an "UP" mark, but no horizontal marks to line up with the valve cover mating surface. Has anyone else run into this type of pulley? If so, what is the correct way to get TDC. "

Did you mean to say the camshaft pulley?
There are little marks on the edges by the teeth of the pulley, maybe spray it down with some brake clean. Look on the back side too.

The rear balance shaft can also be checked by the punch mark of the pulley lining up with a little casting boss, provided it was assembled correctly when the seal was replaced.
This link shows a prelude but you'll see the block is basicly the same except the tensioner;
http://members.troublecodes.net/hond...98ludebelt.htm

Quick Reply: Timing Off - 2000 Honda Accord 4 cyl.