General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake lights are not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 06:16 PM
Default brake lights are not working

I have a 94 honda accord ex. my brake lights doesnt work when i step on the pedal. i have replaced all burn out bulbs including the third brake light. All fuse are working. all tail lights work ( back up, signal lights and brake lights except when i step on the pedal to stop) my tail light harness in the left side has a towing harness attach. what puzzle me is that the third wire( orange wire ) going to brake light is attach to a female connector and is not connected anywhere. am i missing a relay or something else. I just got this car recently. I have attached the picture of the left tail light harness.

Attached Thumbnails brake lights are not working-image.jpg  
Old 08-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

I moved your posts into a separate new thread to deal with it anew.

When you say the brake light don't work, does this include the high mount brake light not working?

Do you have a voltmeter or test light?

Old 08-29-2013, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Although from the picture I can't make out all the wire colors, that looks like the wire harness C556 connector that should be connected to another wire harness connector, which would then be plugged into the brake light failure sensor.

There were early production and late production 1994 Accords with different taillight parts (i.e., brake light failure sensor, taillight wire harness (early production 1994 Accords had 6 wires, late production 1994 Accords had 5 wire), and left taillight assembly.

To check whether you have an early or late production 1994 Accord, look at the 2-P wire harness connector attached to the high-mount brake light. If the wires are Grn/Red and Blk, it is an early production 94 Accord. If the wires are Grn/Wht and Blk, then it is a late production 94 Accord. Let me know which you have, as there is slight differences in the brake light circuit and wiring.

Last edited by redbull-1; 08-29-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

I looked at the wiring diagrams again, that connector should probably plug into the brake light failure sensor. C556 connector appears to be the connector before that. See pics.

Attached Thumbnails brake lights are not working-connectors.jpg   brake lights are not working-left-brake-light-connectors.jpg  
Old 08-30-2013, 03:30 PM

Do they sell the brake light failure sensor in canadian tire?

Old 08-30-2013, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

No, it's a Honda specific part to your car. Check the high-mount brake light wire colors to see whether it is an early or late production 94 Accord, as the parts for the brake light failure sensor are different for the two. Does your car even have the failure sensor, as I can't see it from your pic?

Old 08-31-2013, 11:12 AM

I have the black/green red wires at the high mount

Attached Thumbnails brake lights are not working-image.jpg  
Old 08-31-2013, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

You have the early production 94 Accord, as that is the Grn/Red and Blk wires at the high-mount connector.

See the attached pic. for information for the brake light failure sensor for your car, and other tail light parts if necessary. It also depends on whether you have a spoiler.

Is there a salvage yard near you that you can try to find used parts?

Attached Thumbnails brake lights are not working-1994-accord-brake-light-failure-indicator.jpg  
Old 09-01-2013, 01:08 AM

Ok, i figured it out. when i bought the car the previous owner forgot to install the sensor to the tail light thats installed in the car. When i first looked at the car it was working fine anyways after noticing the brake lamp on the dash is lit up, i went and replaced all broken bulbs. when that didnt solve the problem i replace the brake lamp switch. when that didnt work, i studied the wirings, maybe its just faulty connector. Thats when i noticed that the orange wire for the left brake light is attached to a connector but not connected to anything ( power is not going anywhere ). i checked the second set of tail lights that came with the car and thats where i saw that sensor. After installing the sensor all three brake lights are on even when im not stepping on the pedal. I went back to the brake lamp switch and after adjusting it the brKe light works good again