General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Shifter won't go into park 95 Honda Accord EX

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Default Shifter won't go into park 95 Honda Accord EX

Hello Have a 95 Honda Accord that started sticking when you would take it out of park. I left it out of park starting it in Neutral and using an emergency break( give me a break it was winter) Anyway I have now tried to get it back into park. I have stripped the dash and glove box out along with the shift housing and the middle console box. Ok the shift will shift into park with light on disconnected from the cable so does this mean the shift lock solenoid is working. I have made the proper adjustment that the hole has to be aligned while in NEUTRAL on the 95 linkage is not the issue. I DO NOT HEAR a click noise when depressing the brake, is the click noise suppose to come from the switch at the pedal or from the unit in the dash??? ANYWAY NO CLICK. I DO HAVE BRAKE LIGHTS and it is a bitch for me to get under the steering to take out the brake depression switch. I can not shove it into Park and didn't try to hard to force it. have checked where the cable enterers the tranny no irregularities. I am thinking brake switch, shift solenoid lock switch, do the 2 solenoid on the engine have anything to do with the trans hanging in park or out as my case??? Really need some help on this one any help appreciated....Also one last bit i do have an engine light that comes on but goes off after driving and restarting so didn't think this could be the problem and also not using Honda Transmission oil....BiLL

Last edited by vet67coupe; 08-02-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

It could be a problem with the shift ****. In this link, at step #11, this is the part that needs to be pushed down, your shift **** may not be fully pushing it down.

T.A.S. Auto Parts

Regarding the Check Engine Light, jumper the blue Service Check Connector under the passenger side dash. See the "Common DIY and Info. Thread" sticky at the top of this forum on how to retrieve any possible trouble codes.

Attached Thumbnails Shifter won't go into park 95 Honda Accord EX-1_24.jpg  
Old 08-03-2013, 08:32 AM

Well I did unhook the linkage from the alignment circle on the cable and I could shift the shifter into park with the P light lighting up on the dash. so no obstruction. So if its the shifter would it even shift into park. Seems as if the cable will not go any farther like its locked out of park. I can shift the shifter into any gear when not hooked up to the cable......I will be getting the code here in a bit to see whats going on with that.....the light comes on after you start to drive and then after you turn the ignition off and on the light stays out....was thinking one of the muffler monitors......will be reporting back in this thing has been slowly turning into a nightmare with the power steering lines that absolutely wont stop leaking....thats another story....thanks for any suggestions from the crowd always found the best of knowledge and good people on this site despite the car...lol