General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clicking Sound after starting Car. 2004 Honda Accord Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Clicking Sound after starting Car. 2004 Honda Accord Coupe

Ok guys, I’ve ran into another issue with my 2004 Honda Accord. Two days ago after starting my car I began hearing a clicking sound while still in park. The sound seems to be coming from the steering wheel dashboard area. After about a minute the clicking stops. I conducted further investigation and found that it also clicks when the key is turned in the on position without the car being actually started. While clicking I felt around underneath the dashboard/steering column towards my feet and felt some vibration there until the clicking stopped. Any ideas on what this could be?
Most of the other issues I’ve had with my car I’ve fixed and now this.... Anyhow I’ve posted a video about it on YouTube a few moments ago under the name Yve King. Initially I couldn't find it, but my friend did after typing “Yve King car starting" in the search area. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It has frequency and similar sound to emergency flashers. Try setting/unsetting the emergency flasher and see if sound is reproduced.

good luck

Old 09-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I have an update on this issue. I believe the problem is related to the heating/cooling system. I've come to this conclusion because I notice when I start the car and the air is on, the clicking sound starts, but if when it is switched over to heat, the clicking stops. I also felt around some more as it was clicking and felt the clicking right under the dashboard/steering wheel. I just have no idea what it is that would need to be replaced.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:14 PM

The Air-Mix motor is behind driver's side panel, on the side of the heater core unit. They are known to develop clicking/squeaking sounds due to grease on the internal contacts causing a "hunting" action. Many cars of various brands suffer similar problems. It can be fixed by either replacing air-mix motor or removing motor to clean and relube internals (tricky but google for help).

Try this video and see if sound is similar.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 09-06-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
The Air-Mix motor is behind driver's side panel, on the side of the heater core unit. They are known to develop clicking/squeaking sounds due to grease on the internal contacts causing a "hunting" action. Many cars of various brands suffer similar problems. It can be fixed by either replacing air-mix motor or removing motor to clean and relube internals (tricky but google for help).

Try this video and see if sound is similar.

good luck
This is the EXACT same noise. It looks like its going to be an expensive fix. Any idea how much something like this will cost?

Old 09-08-2013, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Are you doing the work or sending it out to be done?

Old 09-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Are you doing the work or sending it out to be done?
I'm going to send it out for work to be done.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:17 AM

Part is about $140 + shipping. Usually, it cost as much to install as part so around $300 sounds right.

Job does not look to be too tough from shop manual, however manual frequently ignores access issues that add substantially to effort. You can lay under dash on driver's side and observe source of noise and assess how difficult to remove. Three (3) self tapping screws hold servo in place.

good luck

Old 09-09-2013, 11:21 AM

If you have Auto Temp Control, try operating in manual mode to see if sound is eliminated. This may be an acceptable "work-around",...if it works. I'm not sure it will.

good luck