General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Accord Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by ThirteenSport
I just bought a 2013 Sport, mine jerks a bit at very low speeds too. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.
Yeah, what is this? I've noticed it too at low speeds when the car is still cold.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Default accord problems

from what I've read-it's the CVT-smooth at highway speeds but rough,noisy, and jerky at low speeds (accelerating from a stop or at low to medium speed). This is a known factor (not a problem, per honda and nissan) especially with the new nissan altima and accords. Previous nissan altima's had refined cvt's but I guess new economy goals encouraged "unrefined" tweaking. Read the reviews at edmunds (new altima and accord).

Old 04-15-2013, 03:26 PM

Picked up our 2013 EX 2.4L SVT on 4/2. 455 mi. on the odo.
The only "major" issue besides the bluetooth/wireless connection getting lost constantly while on a call, is the jerking back & forth at low speeds or when accelerating slowly at speeds below 50mph. Another minor(?) issue is that the car takes left turns much better than right turns.

There is also wheel balance like vibrations at speeds in excess of 65mph.
When we test drove the car I noticed the steering wheel was not straight and it was pulling to 1 side. It also vibrated at hwy speeds. So they gave it a wheel alignment (pre-alignment settings were red/off) and balanced the wheels. When I picked it up and test drove it, it was fine with no vibrations, but now it appears the wheels are out of balance again, or the Goodyear tires are just crappy or defective. We will be taking it back to the dealer.

I also expect the strut or a suspection component to be bad on the front driver side for the car to take crappy turns and tires squealing at moderate speeds. The car also reacts slowly when turning the wheel to the right or when changing to the right lane on the highway. When turning the wheel left it reacts much quicker and holds the road better. It just does not handle well when taking right turns. Tires are all good at 32-33psi when cold. I noticed the dealer had them at 29deg, and I added air. Low pressure will result in poor gas mileage, so I set them to what the sticker on the door says. It could be the wheel alignment they gave it was off for it to handle great turning one way, and poor the other. It could be their wheel alignment machine was not calibrated well, but they did straighten out the steering wheel and it tracks pretty straight. The wheel alignment paper says front Toe is 0.0 on both the front tires, and the rear tires are toe'd in a little so on paper it looks good. Caster and camber both look good too, but I don't know if it has adjustable camber.

Oh also another thing that has developed, is that when braking, the car pulls to the left. So again something in the front left is the culprit. Either alignment problem, or a bad shock absorber (or tie rod, suspension component, etc.) I think the shock absorber on the right is working properly, and the left one is not. Someone her had the front struts replaced, so I may not be too far off. We also just got our first rattle in the dashboard somewhere yeterday!

Not too happy so far. Even at dealer invoice, we paid $26,200 (w/tax) for this car and I expected it to have less problems than an $18K Civic. My '06 Civic has been relatively good, but not great. Only had 1 sensor go bad and the alternator just went at 130k mi., but the engine mounts have gone bad for a while now, so I will fix them and sell it soon. My '01 and '97 Civics had nothing break before I sold them both with 175k mi. on the odo. Just did regular maintance and changed fluids often. The sad truth is that Honda made their cars better more than a decade ago. I think this 2013 Accord is going to give us a lot of headackes. Ever since Honda started getting away from the awesome double-wishbone suspension (starting in 2001), their suspensions have had nothing but problems, and their cars have trouble tracking straight. My '01 actually had a TSB for replacing the struts. My wife's '04 CRV also the same for strut mounts and struts, and my '06 had a TSB for a known issue with the struts, shock bump stops, and strut mounts. It appears they still don't have the struts down after more than a decade of moving away from the shock/double-wish bone geometry. And all that to save a couple of dollars per car and make a little more passenger room. I will take the old suspensions any time over an 1"-2" of rear passenger leg room.

Harry in NY

Last edited by vtecharry; 04-15-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Default Very low mileage on new 2012 Honda Accord EXL

Hello All,

I bought 2012 Honda Accord EXL 4 cylinder automatic car last year in September. Mine is 18.5 Gallons tank and I only get 300 miles full tank in the city. I use it 30-40%% highway and 60-70% city. I went to the Honda Service center and they asked where I fill the gas. I mentioned Costco and they blamed that Costo is a low end gas station and that I should only fill gas at Shell or equivalent. They also said that I will have to pay $150 for the inspection if it is related to the bad gas. I came back and now filled the gas from Shell but no improvement yet.Waiting for the tank to get empty before I can go back to the service center. I was told to try 3 full tanks before I visit them but I am afraid my warranty time may get over.
All my other friends have new and good cars and they fill in Costco too but they never faced any mileage issues. I need expert advise on how to move forward with this issue. My car is still in warranty and I am just getting 17 miles per gallon which is not even comparable with 10 years old car. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I have had my Accord EX-L at the dealer 4 times now. The "update" has been installed 3 times. Here are my problems:
• The phone book will not download completely. Sometimes names & numbers appear, sometimes not
• I have not been able to see the contact photos on the caller ID since the 2nd week I had he car.
• The “Text Message Reader” works when it feels like it.
• The caller ID gives the number but no name for many calls even though the name & number is in the phonebook.
• The FCW periodically goes off when passing another vehicle. Usually when the vehicle is alongside. Sometimes the FCW goes off when there are no other vehicles anywhere in sight.
• The headlights blink off & on repeatedly when driving at night.
• A digital screeching emits from the speakers when listening to music through the Bluetooth or FM.
• The Bluetooth disconnects then reconnects to the phone periodically when listening to music.
• Periodically when shifting from Reverse to Drive, the main screen will go blank when the rear camera turns off. The car must be turned off and restarted for the display to work.
• Sometimes when starting the car the radio goes into CD mode and will not change until the car is turned completely off and started again
• I actually get better mileage per tank with the “Econ” button off. There is a 2-4 mpg difference.

No help from Honda. It seems like they just hope I will get tired and accept their POS car.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:00 PM

You should call Honda Customer Service and complain. The main issue we have is the call gets disconnected on the bluethooth usually after 40-50 seconds.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:51 AM

Anybody having these issues? I have a 2013 EX-L

- Steering wheel whirring sound when turning
- Slight rattle over dashboard
- the beep when unlocking car via touch or remote got significantly quieter?

I also have the jerking problem but am learning to live with it...

Old 05-22-2013, 04:14 PM

Hello,
First post here. I have a 2013 Accord LX with the CVT as the only option. I bought it last November and have put about 4000 miles on it. The only problem I have experienced is with the Bluetooth phone app. I use the ECON mode exclusively and get 38+mpg driving from Allentown PA to Baltimore and 35+ on the return trip, probably due to altitude changes. The CVT works fine except for an occasional slight jerk at 5-10mph when slowing down. This is my first Honda (other than a 1973 500 Four) and I'm very pleased with it so far.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Default 2013 Accord EX-L 4cyl - Keyfob issue?

Hello, question about the 2013 Accord EX-L 4cyl with push start engine. I haggled for my in laws for their new Accord. Four days later, they noticed the flickering of the dashboard while it was parked in the garage. The next day, the Accord would not start. We tried jumping it, but that did not work. The Honda Dealership had the Accord towed to them. All of their technians and Service Managers never seen an issue like it. They had to call Honda Technical Support team. They came back stating that the keyfobs are the issue. My father was using his (#1 fob) and my mother had hers (#2 fob) in her purse. Honda is telling them that two keyfobs close to each other is "confusing" the car and eventually draining the battery. I have never heard of such a issue with keyfobs. Anyone having issues like this?

Old 07-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Default Whistling

Originally Posted by Dr. Honda Accord 2013
That is a very interesting finding, and I almost thought the ECON is supposed to save us gas; stupid me.
I will try the same after my current tank is empty (BTW, I reach 380 miles per tank for ~16 gallons which is barely 24 mpg).
New finding I forgot to include, just recently the engine?! has started to make a funny sound when slowing down, just like an airplane engine when "whistling" while running. Anybody else noticed that?
I have the whistling problem as well and noticed it at about 19-15 mph on deceleration. My call to dealer has not been answered yet. I ruled out wheel bearings as the noise disappeared when I turned the motor off and coasted. FYI averaging about 31 mpg per tank.

Quick Reply: 2013 Accord Problems