General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Balance shaft maintenance hole

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Default Balance shaft maintenance hole

I have searched and found a few writeups on the timing belt and balance belt replacement. On top of that, I have the factory manual. I'm finding a disagreement with the factory manual, or an error on my part. And, none of the writeups mentioned this.

Here's where I'm confused. When you put a bolt in the maintenance hole on the back of the block to hold the balance shaft, the manual says the bolt should go in 2.9 inches. Well, I get 3.2 inches. I'm pretty sure I'm in the right spot as there are pointers on the pulley and on the oil pump housing and everything lines up when the bolt is in place. However, this being my first overhead cam motor, I'm more than just a bit paranoid. I don't like it when my results don't agree with the documentation.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has notice this. Am I screwing up or is the manual not quite right? I found other places where the manual was wrong, but it was in an area that didn't matter (no damage could occur) except it cost me about an hour and a half of my time.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Your bolt may be smaller than the 1/4 inch drill bit that I used.

If you want to convince yourself that you have the right spot, remove the bolt and turn the gear a quarter turn, then see how far the bolt will go into that access hole. Return the gear to the original spot and the bolt should go in pretty far.

It does sound like you have that gear set in the right spot. Don't forget to remove that bolt when you are finished.

Last edited by PAhonda; 08-14-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
If you want to convince yourself that you have the right spot, remove the bolt and turn the gear a quarter turn, then see how far the bolt will go into that access hole. Return the gear to the original spot and the bolt should go in pretty far.
Thanks for the suggestion. I should have mentioned that I already tried that in a few other locations. It goes in the farthest at the spot where I get about 3.2 inches. At the other locations I tried, it didn't even go in the 2.9 inches that the manual calls for.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:01 AM

Your ok partner i ran into the same issue you did,as long as all your marks line up and dont move while your installing the timing belt you should be ok.
but any little movement in the pulleys will cause that bolt to move so be careful and check double check and check again to make sure all the timing marks stay lined up!!!
Trust me when you go to start it for the 1st.time you want it to start on the 1st.time!
I replaced my timing belt and i cant count how many times i went over my work before closing everything up!and it payed off cause she started up on the 1st.try.
good luck and take your time you dont wana have to tear it all up again cause you rushed it?

Old 08-14-2012, 05:08 PM

I know what you mean about the four sets of instructions...and, all of them differ in one respect or another. Made me darn paranoid when I did mine.

FWIW, the procedure for my '92 4-cly called for a letter "E" drill bit for securing the balance shaft. The shaft of the drill fit like a glove. In the end, I was happy I went out and bought the perfect bit. The shaft is 6.4 mm.

Maybe somewhere you can find what the exact size is for your motor. I am betting you need the E drill, too. It is just a hair over 1/4".

Old 08-14-2012, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the reassurances, gents. Last night, I practiced replacing the timing and balance belts twice on the old motor, replaced a busted connector and resealed the transmission. Tonight, I'll be working on the transplant engine replacing the seals, tensioner pulleys, water pump and belts. It's finally starting to feel like the finish line is in sight.

The letter E drill is 1/4 inch according to the charts I found on the web. I have a couple pieces of 1/4 inch aluminum rod sitting around and now I have a use for some of it.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

See, I always tell my wife that "stuff" in the garage has a use, I just may not know right now what that use is .

irhunter - seen your post about the "kits", I'm a Gates guy so I can't comment on those kits.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
See, I always tell my wife that "stuff" in the garage has a use, I just may not know right now what that use is .
poorman, ain't that the truth. I often find that as soon as I get rid of stuff in the garage at the direction of the boss, I end up needing it soon thereafter.