General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car 'attempts' to keep locking itself

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation Car 'attempts' to keep locking itself

Hi everyone,

Two nights ago, I parked my car at home and locked it. The car beeped and was definitely locked, but it continued to try to keep locking over and over again. Once every two seconds, I could hear a click of the doors attempting to close themselves again.

The next morning, my car barely started. It felt like the battery was very weak from what I saw as I started it. It took it a few seconds.

I'm guessing that because of the continuous locking of the doors the night before, the battery was slowly drained.

I am not sure what is going on here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Side note, I have a remote started and no alarm. However, this has happened prior to the remote starter, just not to this degree until my battery drained.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stan
Hi everyone,

Two nights ago, I parked my car at home and locked it. The car beeped and was definitely locked, but it continued to try to keep locking over and over again. Once every two seconds, I could hear a click of the doors attempting to close themselves again.

The next morning, my car barely started. It felt like the battery was very weak from what I saw as I started it. It took it a few seconds.

I'm guessing that because of the continuous locking of the doors the night before, the battery was slowly drained.

I am not sure what is going on here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Side note, I have a remote started and no alarm. However, this has happened prior to the remote starter, just not to this degree until my battery drained.
Mine does this exact same thing. It has never killed my battery though. Im still trying to figure out why it does this

Old 08-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like you have a problem with the door lock actuator. If you search the web, redbull-1 (one of our moderators) posted a diy on honda-tech on how to fix them.

I had the same exact locking problem on my car and replacing the actuator fixed it.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I think this is the link for your issue.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...cycling-48713/

My 96 will do the same thing if I start to cycle the locks. Seems like they have a mind of their own!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the insight on this annoying problem.

I will take a look at this actuator tomorrow to see what's going on.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well, I scoped out this problem yesterday. Took a lot of patience and maneuvering but I took everything apart and found the broken rubber piece as mentioned in that DIY.

I replaced the rubber piece with a new one that I just cut myself. After putting everything back together, everything seemed to work with no relocking/clicking sound.

Couple of hours later, the sound came back. -_-

Should I check to see if the passenger side is messed up too?

Last edited by Stan; 08-13-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Which side is the sound coming from now? If it is the same side you just repaired, the rubber piece you replaced may have fell out. If it is from the passenger side, then check that side.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

LMFAO My 97 accord did the exactly thesame thing after i put my doors back together after installing aftermarket speakers... I found that the metal bar from the door lock actuatr and the lock itself was seperated. reconnected it and voila!

Old 08-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I am not sure which side it is coming from to be honest. I'll take a closer listen when it happens again. It's always hot and cold; one day its fine, the next its clicking nonstop.

Not sure how that rubber stopper fell out. It was super glued and epoxied all around.

@Time_Will_Tell, which metal bar are you referring to?

Old 08-16-2012, 07:21 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So the clicking issue happened yesterday and I noticed that ALL of the doors try to lock themselves; not just a single door. ??? Confused on what to do next...

Quick Reply: Car 'attempts' to keep locking itself