General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

O2 sensor problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 05:34 PM

I have a 2007 Accord ex . Has error code P0138: Indicates "Bank 1" sensor 2 faulty. I understand this vehicle has 4, o2 sensor's, 2 upper and 2 lower... would like to know the location, of the indicated sensor, in my post.. Any help is greatly appreciated. Not sure if I should tackle this my self.?

Old 07-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sabot105
I have a 2007 Accord ex . Has error code P0138: Indicates "Bank 1" sensor 2 faulty. I understand this vehicle has 4, o2 sensor's, 2 upper and 2 lower... would like to know the location, of the indicated sensor, in my post.. Any help is greatly appreciated. Not sure if I should tackle this my self.?
Is yours a V6? If it is then it has 4 sensors, see post # 2 which shows the Bank 1, Sensor 2 location. It is the rear secondary O2 sensor.

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-15-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:15 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Can someone PLEASE reveal the secret to EASILY disconnecting the a/f sensor at the wiring harness??? Those clips (connectors) are IMPOSSIBLE to disconnect. I used a pair of needle nosed pliers to squeeze/release the clip while a buddy was trying to pull the connection apart. What a PITA!!!!!

To make matters worse, I was working on replacing the EASY a/f sensor (Bank 2, Sensor 1) located in front near radiator. Unfortunately, it turns out I likely replaced the WRONG sensor since I'm now getting P0134 and P2237...which I'm told relates to the Bank 1, Sensor 1 (rear, near firewall) on the '04 Accord V6.

Without looking at the car, I can only imagine the REAR will be tougher to replace compared to the front.....and then there's the impossible task of disconnecting the a/f sensor 'clip' from the harness. WHAT IS THE SECRET???

Old 07-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Remove the electrical connector from the metal tab bracket first, then disconnect the connectors. Otherwise, it will be difficult to impossible.

Btw: The radiator side and firewall side air/fuel ratio sensors are the same. They can be swapped. Did you keep the original one you took out? Put a little anti-seize on the threads.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Remove the electrical connector from the metal tab bracket first, then disconnect the connectors. Otherwise, it will be difficult to impossible.

Btw: The radiator side and firewall side air/fuel ratio sensors are the same. They can be swapped. Did you keep the original one you took out? Put a little anti-seize on the threads.
I removed the connector from the metal tab/bracket FIRST. Still it was way too difficult. Any additional tips for ease of disconnection??? I thought removing the sensor itself would be the chore...but it was nothing using the rented sensor socket from autozone.

I saved the replaced FRONT sensor and I'm going to try it when I replace the rear. Beside using a dab of anti-seize on the threads, are there any tricks/tips to cleaning the used sensor (I'm assuming it's still a good one)???

BTW...is the rear a/f sensor (bank 1, sensor 1) fairly easy to access/remove as compared to the front?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't recommend any cleaning of the sensor, maybe just use a light brush to clean the threads on the sensor and then a dab of of anti-seize.

The rear sensor shouldn't be much more difficult to remove.

Good luck.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:34 AM
Newest Of Newbies

early results from this experience are NOW in. i finally got around to replacing the bank 1, sensor 1 a/f sensor this past weekend. actually, i replaced it with the OLD bank 2, sensor 1 that i mistakenly ( i think) replaced with a brand new one.

i can NOW say with experience, replacing the upstream a/f sensors on a v6 accord is NOT difficult...even for a hack mechanic. after figuring out how to remove the entire plastic connectors (sensor and wiring harness) from their HANGER, it's really a piece of cake. after learning (struggling) to remove/replace the front (radiator-side) sensor, I was able to do the firewall-side sensor in 5 min, total.

as it turns out, using the old 'front sensor' in the rear has seemingly fixed my problem. after two days, the CEL has remained off. therefore, even though the sensors (front and rear) have different HONDA part numbers, they seem to be interchangeable. the end result for me is that i have a brand new sensor in bank 1, sensor 1 that i apparently didn't need...and an old (bank 1) sensor in bank 2, sensor 1 location. works for me, SO FAR!!! are we confused yet?

Old 07-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like the early results are looking good Thank you for the update!

Old 08-04-2012, 11:53 AM

wow confused.... no... not blonde... :{

Last edited by sabot105; 08-13-2012 at 06:25 AM. Reason: wrong post
Old 08-13-2012, 06:15 AM

Hello.
I have a 2007 Honda accord ex 6cl v tec engine, auto transmission. check engine light on and code reads out--Bank 1 sensor 2 shorted... burning rich.
Still need honda part # for 02 sensor My code read out sayI believe it is the down flow sensor on the front cylinder bank. Napa store gave me a upflow sensor according to thier catalog WTF??? Need correct honda part number... ! All four would be nice the honda hot line is very limited call wise... HELP>>>>!
Tanx alot
Don Bravo

Quick Reply: O2 sensor problem?