General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replacing A/C Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 12:22 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Replacing A/C Compressor

Wondering how hard this job would be. Took the car to a shop to get a quote and they quoted me 800 dollars to replace the compressor, vacuum out the system and fill it back up. I just want to replace the compressor and see how much it would be for them to just vacuum the system and fill it back up.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:44 AM

Its pretty easy depending on your environment feelings you may have to get the system emptied professionally before removing the compressor. Or you can vent it into the air . You have to remove the alternator and belt then the compressor comes out pretty easy. A rebuilt one is $250-350.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

What is your current problem?

An even better solution is to repair your compressor or perhaps problem lies elsewhere.

good luck

Old 05-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
What is your current problem?

An even better solution is to repair your compressor or perhaps problem lies elsewhere.

good luck
When I took it to the a/c shop to get checked out I turned on the a/c for the guy and a really loud noise came from the compressor. Kind of like compressed air or something. The guy told me the compressor may have seized up.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:00 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by moey
Its pretty easy depending on your environment feelings you may have to get the system emptied professionally before removing the compressor. Or you can vent it into the air . You have to remove the alternator and belt then the compressor comes out pretty easy. A rebuilt one is $250-350.
Well it cant be that bad for the environment . Seems easy enough. Just need to look for a replacement.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:13 PM

If compressor siezed, there will be compressor debris in the system that must be removed or you will fail your new compressor. If that is the case, you will need to replace compressor, flush hoses and condensor (better to replace, but at least flush), remove evaporator and drain/flush (again replacement is better), and new receiver/drier.

Above seems drastic, but it can be accomplished w/ used parts for a reasonable price.

Hopefully problem is not a siezed compressor. When siezure happens belt will jump off or tremendous squealing of belt slipping.

good luck

Old 05-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
If compressor siezed, there will be compressor debris in the system that must be removed or you will fail your new compressor. If that is the case, you will need to replace compressor, flush hoses and condensor (better to replace, but at least flush), remove evaporator and drain/flush (again replacement is better), and new receiver/drier.

Above seems drastic, but it can be accomplished w/ used parts for a reasonable price.

Hopefully problem is not a siezed compressor. When siezure happens belt will jump off or tremendous squealing of belt slipping.

good luck
Oh wow... Ya the whole thing with the belt is not happening so im not sure what it could be. Like I said it just makes a really loud noise when turned on in the first five seconds. Scared the crap out of the guy that was checking it. Funny stuff

Old 06-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

When was the last time you replaced the belt to the ac compressor. If it made the noise for ~5 sec and then stopped but the system was working....either the belt is loose or just getting old....my 2 cents.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
When was the last time you replaced the belt to the ac compressor. If it made the noise for ~5 sec and then stopped but the system was working....either the belt is loose or just getting old....my 2 cents.
Not sure. Just got the car last year. But when the ac is turned on the rpms drop low and the car runs like crap. And it doesnt sound like it like it would be a problem with the belt. I could be wrong though. Like I said its a really loud noise like if air is being released. I get to scared to leave it on because of the noise. I wish I could find video showing what it sounds like. I will look for one.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:20 PM

A defective clutch idler bearing could cause problems, but would make noise all the time and provide resistance all the time. Since problem only occurs when AC is engaged, the compressor is the likely cause of the added load.

Suggest replacing compressor soon and don't use AC in meantime. You're likely shaving aluminum from the compressor into the system every time you turn AC on.

good luck

Quick Reply: Replacing A/C Compressor