General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Mixing V and H rated tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Maverick
Unregistered
Default Mixing V and H rated tires?

Greetings to everyone!
I have a 2004 Accord V6. I've had it for about 10 month, and could never get used to the rough ride of the car.
I decided to look at a different set of tires that are H rated vs. V rated(OME). Big O Tire replaced 2 front Michelin V rated tires with H rated EuroTour.
Big O Eurotours ride much softer, but the steering wheel is off center right now. It has to be turned about 15 degrees to the left to keep the car driving straight.
Switching front left and right tires did not help. Then I tried switching front and rear tires. It seemed to traighten the steering wheel. Actually now it has to be turned about 5 degrees to the right to drive straight. Dealer checked wheel allignment and found nothing wrong. I took the car back to tire shop and they are all confused.
I bought 2 front tires to see if it would improve ride quality and it really did. But there is a weird phenomenon with the steering wheel being off center.
Should I get 2 more EuroTours to match all 4 tires? Did anyone have similar problem with their Honda?
Any comments will be appreciated.

Old 05-04-2005, 12:44 AM
Default RE: Mixing V and H rated tires?

just a thought - are those tires have same radius?

actually I like firm Honda ride - and I dislike the toyota soft cloudy ride, however, back to the problem - if tires are the same radius and have the same inflation pressure and alignment is Ok then - those are f...ed up tires. I mean theres something wrong definitly.

have you tried new Assurance by Good Year yet? those are good -
I drive BF goodrich touring I would recommend too

I wouldn't recommend : Michelin and firestone , not that I have something against those brands - but I had more complaints about those tires. Pirelli all seasonal sucky also.

P.S. sorry but I had to ask, are you the same Maverick , warlock on Bronzebeard server that I still have to duel in WOW? ....or may be just the same name

Old 05-04-2005, 12:57 AM

i have the firestones that begin with a P and i love them i just cant think of their name right now

Old 05-04-2005, 01:21 AM
Maverick
Unregistered

No, Maverick is just a name that was picked from "Top Gun" movie. I love flying.
Now back to the car. The new tires are the same size. Except speed rating.
I was thinking of putting old Michelin tires back. Maybe there is something else wrong with the car that just happened at the time of tire replacement.
Michelins seem way too rough. I think that relates to so many interior rattles. Go figure.....

Old 05-04-2005, 01:48 AM

can you try and switch those tires with different brand at the shop?

may be they are leaking somewhere? or underinflated?

to tell you the truth i've never see such weird problem. [&:]

Old 05-04-2005, 01:53 AM

ORIGINAL: jayhova804

i have the firestones that begin with a P and i love them i just cant think of their name right now
again I have nothing against those brands - just whatever we hear from people.

Old 05-04-2005, 02:20 AM
Administrator

GO BACK...to that dealer and tell them of there mistake about mixing the tires with the wrong speed rateing's and make sure they get the tread style very close to the original set or your car will not track correctly in the rain or snow on the roads...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 05-09-2005, 06:33 PM

i had that problem. turned out the track rod was mangled and loose. so the alignment was straightened, but as soon as i drove out, it wobbled the tracking out, which messed up the tracking.

only noticed when i tried to shake the wheel with the car stationary, was a bit loose...

Old 05-15-2005, 07:38 PM

Ya, if you moved the tires around and it still is crooked it can be an alignment problem. Even if the alignment is within specs the steering wheel can still be crooked if not straightened out before re tightening the tie rods and such after making adjustments. BTW I work at a shop and see the problem on cars that come from some other shops.