General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission fluid change recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 06:13 AM
Default transmission fluid change recommendations?

I plan on changing the transmission fluid on my 1991 Accord LX, automatic of course, and I was curious what fluid you guys recommend using when doing this. I've also read (based on my repair manual) that I'll need approximately 4 quarts of Dexron II, which I know by now has been replaced by the standard Dex / Merc IV ATF.

I'd like an expert opinion on this, so all help is appreciated!

Old 03-25-2012, 08:03 AM

dont use Dex/merc.
get honda fluid. using dex/merc will cause your trans to shift extremely hard.
there are synthetic fluids out there which are compatable but its a risk.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Nothing scientific, but an overwhelming majority of users have found outstanding results w/ Honda ATF. They recently changed the formulation to an all-synthetic fluid which seems to perform well also, but has much less history.

A full fluid replacement is good. See "10 Min Atomatic Transmission Fluid Flush" on youtube w/ that incorrect spelling.

good luck

Old 03-25-2012, 08:26 AM

13 years in the automatic trans industry, i do not ever recommend a flush. with high mileage and the aggitation caused by a flush, it loosens hidden particulates which circulate the hydraulic system causing blockages of orifices and solenoids. the high detergent value of modern fluids exagerates this condition. flushing is a gimmick which provides nothing.
case in point, remove a trans pan for service, the fluid is black, get the pan back on pronto and fill it back up with dirty trans fluid. service it with new fluid the car never leaves the service bay. a trans service is routine maintenance, if its never been done in 190K dont start now, its doenst fix an internal problem, only makes it worse.
remember, an automatic trans is a hydraulic sytem with controlled leaks. dirt and muck block orifices. anyone remember the old 700R4 trans? cripes! you had to clean the governor out 3 times before the car left the rack. and that was afer a complete rebuild.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Fluid replacement is not a forced flush. You use the trans pump and divert the fluid from the trans radiator to remove trapped fluid in the torque converter.

good luck

Old 03-25-2012, 09:34 AM
Newest Of Newbies

When you change it make sure you have a GIANT drain pan! I didn't have one and there was ssoooooo much fluid...

Also that drain plug is going to feel impossible to unscrew, at least it did for me.
I used about 3 bottles of Honda ATF which cost about 8 bucks a piece
Good Luck

Old 03-25-2012, 01:08 PM

Honda ATF DW-1

Old 03-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Pattywagon
I'd like an expert opinion on this, so all help is appreciated!
Whatever you decide to do, would you post up an update in 1000 miles and say satisfied or not?

I'm just 7,000 into my first AT car, a '97, and not used to servicing AT's or selecting AT fluid.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:42 PM

I'm impressed by the amount of replies in such a short time, looks like I know which direction I'll be going with this! Now I'm a big Castrol guy, and they offer the Castrol Import transmission fluid which states one of the recommended applications is Honda / Acura ATF-Z1 required transmissions, now does Honda's ATF-Z1 exceed the Honda ATF DW-1, or are they a completely different animal?

"UhOh," when I do my service, I'll be sure to post anything I've noticed once I've reached the 1,000 mile mark for a future referencing point!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:06 AM
Newest Of Newbies

From what I saw looking for the Z1 fluid is it was replaced by the DW1

Quick Reply: transmission fluid change recommendations?