General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Trans solenoid bad?

Old 11-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Default Trans solenoid bad?

I have read some posts on here about clogged trans solenoids that fit my symptoms exactly. Delayed shift from first to second when cold but fine after warm. Checked fluid. Perfect warm level to the top of the full line. Took the solenoid off and checked screens. Clear. It is a 98 Accord with 70k miles. Is there another solenoid. One on here i saw for a 98 2.3 didn't look like mine at all. It was the linear solenoid. The one i cleaned is directly facing me on the top front of the trans. Two posts sticking straigt up. The linear one i saw on here they were laying flat with a different bolt pattern. My hangup is i don't want to spend $300 on a possibility. Trans shops local say they can't test the solenoid individually which I thought u could pressure test them. Any advice? This car is mint other than this and a slight vibration at idle which is a little annoying but could just b a mount or something. Havent really looked into it. Although it is smoother w a little gas but can't seem to adjust the idle and keep it there mechanically which I figured would happen being computer controlled. Any advice on that woth what to look into would b great as well...thanks!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is CEL (check engine light) ever on? If yes, get code and post.

Checking solenoids w/o some guidance from ECU (CEL) on fault is not productive. That said there are 4 solenoids (two grouped units of two) on the trans that can be reached. It won't hurt to remove and inspect screens.

Some flare in 1-2 shift is normal w/ high mileage cars. I found that slightly reducing throttle pressure produced decent shift. Aggravating, but manageable.

Adjusting throttle stop is wrong way to adjust idle speed and will lead to further idle problems. Idle must be adjusted w/ air bleed screw on throttle body w/ IACV disconnected.

IACV and throttle body cleaning usually will improve idle speed control.

good luck

Old 11-23-2011, 12:47 PM

Check engine light is never on. Car is only at 70k miles and has been doing this since atleast 55k when I put all new fluid in it for my grandmother. That was actually why I did it in the first place. So this could just b normal? I did clean the one screen on the solenoid on top. It was actually pretty clean. I will have to look for the other solenoid. Not even sure where it is at since I never looked for it...lol.
Is the IACV plug on the back side of the TB? And where exactly is this bleed screw. Might have to give that a shot. I have already completely removed TB and cleaned every nook and cranny to a shine.... Thanks!

Old 11-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check autozone online manual for your model. It has pictures of component locations.

The bypass air bleed screw is on TDC of the throttle body intake on earlier models.

good luck

Old 11-29-2011, 07:46 AM

Does anyone know which solenoid controls which shifts? Or the function of each. I am assuming the one on top is the 1-2 shift since one guy on here seemed to have good results cleaning that one with the same issues, but wanted to make sure.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:34 PM

Item #: 230713627432 on ebay

Anyone know if these are 1.) compatible with my Accord and 2.) are worth a shot to solve this issue?

Old 12-15-2011, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

What kind of fluid did you use in the transmission?

Old 12-16-2011, 08:05 AM

Well about 15k miles ago I changed out the factory Honda fluid with Amsoil for my grandmother because it was doing this. So my first instinct was to freshen the fluid. So it is 100%, or as close as poss., Amsoil but the problem never ceased. A buddy of mine said to check the fluid level cold but I keep forgetting only remembering after I have been driving it of course...lol. But, that being said, the fluid level is topped off hot running in N and checked it right after shutting the car off. Color is good. And really like I mentioned it stops doing this after it is warm. So as expected the longer it sits outside now, the longer it takes to straighten up with winter here now. Wish I knew someone with the same car as me I could switch out the solenoids one at a time and test it...

Last edited by Dakota21601; 12-16-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Most people recommend Honda transmission fluid for the transmission. I think that you should change out the transmission fluid with Honda ATF, since that is when the problem started. Drain approx 3 quarts, then refill. Drive it for a bit to see if the shifting quality changes.

When you used the Amsoil, did you just drain approx 3 quarts, then refill?

Old 12-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Don't "drain approx 3" quarts. Measure exactly how much that comes out. Why? Because you'll have more than 3 quarts come out with every drain, and if you put in only 3 quarts for every drain, you'll be missing quite a lot of fluid after all is said and done. Also, if only 2.5 quarts come out with every drain, you end up putting more fluid in the trans, which can be a bad thing as well.

When it comes to fluids, the two I don't use major brands for are the ATF and the Coolant. So in your case, I recommend Honda ATF DW-1. Here is some info from Handa Accessories (I've never bought from them, but they're popular): http://www.handa-accessories.com/dw1.pdf

Seems to me as if the DW-1 tackles the cold shift problem. I just put DW-1 in about 2-3 days ago while the temperature was in the teens and the shifting was absolutely phenomenal. I really do think you have a fluid problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans solenoid bad?