General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil level on dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Default Oil level on dipstick

Does anybody have an answer to the "how much over the top hole" is considered overfill? I have had a CRV and Accord recently have their oil changes at a Honda dealership and the fill is like 1/4" to a 1/2" over the top hole. I think it is overfilled but I can't determine by how much. The dealer says it is OK. I had it done there since oil changes with a A01 is only $9.95.

My gut tells me its overfilled as well. Not sure what the above line quote means. I know the upper circle is "Full". There is no marking above that.

I have driven this vehicle for about 120 miles. I hope no damage happens.

The pic (the stick is blurry) has the oil "wetness" ending just before the twist. I am guessing this is about a 1/2 a quart or so.

Attached Thumbnails Oil level on dipstick-oil-002.jpg  
Old 09-30-2011, 11:05 AM

Are you checking the oil with the engine running? or with it off? If a Honda dealer tells you it is fine, I would think you should be fine...

FYI: I moved your thread to the General Tech Help section, as that is where this would belong

Last edited by 00AccordLX5spd; 09-30-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:26 AM

Sorry. Didn't think it was in the wrong section.

The oil was checked three times. Each time the engine was off. Once when the engine was off several hours. Once after 1 hour. Another after 10 minutes. I have done some searches and I have seen mixed reviews. Some say the oil can foam in which the oil would not lube properly. Some say the oil pressure will increase this posing a risk to engine seals.

I figure this happened to someone else besides me.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Based on your attached picture, are you wiping the dipstick first and then re-inserting the dipstick to get the reading or are you just reading it based on the first pull of the dipstick without wiping to get the reading? If it is done with the car off, then first wiping and reinserting to get the reading, then it looks overfilled. A little bit over is nothing; but, if it is as high as in your picture, then it looks overfilled.

Edit: I took another look again at the picture, can you take another reading and picture and post. Some of the oil on the dipstick looks like incidental smearing while pulling the dipstick out? Also, compare both sides of the dipstick to get a true reading of the level. Sometimes looking only at one side makes it look higher due to smearing while pulling out the dipstick.

Last edited by redbull-1; 09-30-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Based on your attached picture, are you wiping the dipstick first and then re-inserting the dipstick to get the reading or are you just reading it based on the first pull of the dipstick without wiping to get the reading? If it is done with the car off, then first wiping and reinserting to get the reading, then it looks overfilled. A little bit over is nothing; but, if it is as high as in your picture, then it looks overfilled.

Edit: I took another look again at the picture, can you take another reading and picture and post. Some of the oil on the dipstick looks like incidental smearing while pulling the dipstick out? Also, compare both sides of the dipstick to get a true reading of the level. Sometimes looking only at one side makes it look higher due to smearing while pulling out the dipstick.
I did wipe it first and re-insert it. I did this all 3 times yesterday and once today. Can't take a picture at the moment. The oil "mark" is just beneath where the twist is in the dipstick. I think it is overfilled as well...but not 100% sure.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Just a side-note. On my older Hondas, that much over on the dipstick equated to approximately 1/2 quart over, on my newer Honda that much over would only equate to approximately 1/4 - 1/3 quart over. IMHO, 1/4 quart over should not pose any problem.

Half-way distance between the lower and upper marks of the dipstick approximated 1/2 quart on my two previous older Hondas. My current 2009 Honda is not that way.

Last edited by redbull-1; 09-30-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:55 AM

Interesting. My 2001 CRV is that way (1/2 quart when that much over). Don't know how much that would be on this 2011 Accord. How much is it in theory between the 2 holes on the dipstick?

Old 09-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by macmini05
Interesting. My 2001 CRV is that way (1/2 quart when that much over). Don't know how much that would be on this 2011 Accord. How much is it in theory between the 2 holes on the dipstick?
Well, I don't know if other current Accords show it similar to my 2009 Accord; but, that is only like 1/4 - 1/3 quart over on mines, so you are probably okay. I mainly change my own oil; but, one time the dealer changed my oil, it was somewhat over the high mark on the dipstick. The car didn't seem any worse for wear. I would say on my 2009 Accord, it is like 1/2 -3/4 quart between the 2 holes on my dipstick.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:25 PM

Thanks for your input. I usually change my own oil as well but the Honda dealer down the street from me has $9.95 oil changes and they use the Honda A01 filter too. I may pull my plug out and drain some of the oil this weekend. Peace of mind.....

Old 09-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by macmini05
Thanks for your input. I usually change my own oil as well but the Honda dealer down the street from me has $9.95 oil changes and they use the Honda A01 filter too. I may pull my plug out and drain some of the oil this weekend. Peace of mind.....
I totally understand. The time the dealer changed mines, I also was a little concerned at the oil level over the dipstick, not as high as shown in your pic.; but, still more than enough over that I felt it was a little sloppy work. Yes, I know most Honda dealers have the oil hoses with the electronic control to enter how much for each car; but, to me that is a little imprecise if the tech did not let all the oil drain out.

Quick Reply: Oil level on dipstick