General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 accord Overheating-cooling fans wont turn on

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Default 1992 accord Overheating-cooling fans wont turn on

i have a 92 accord and its been overheating lately and i noticed my cooling fans arent kickin on when they should be and when i turn the car off the fans wont turn on then either... every once and a while they turn on but that's only once and a while...so i got a fan switch and put it in and it did nothing but make it worse now it overheats faster...idk what to check next or replace can somebody please help!?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Start the car and turn on the a/c. Both fans should turn on. Let us know if they both turn on. If not, tell us if the driver's side, passenger's side, or both fans do not turn on.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The fans on my 97 Accord began to act up just like yours, every once in a while coming on. I had 130,000 miles on the car at the time. The fan motors clapped out. If I tapped the motor bodies or carefully prodded the fan blades (so as not to lose a finger or get a tool jammed in the radiator) I could get the motors to run for a while. I ended up putting in new motors...... Just a possibility.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

We usually tell people to jumper the fan switch just to verify that the switch IS the problem. In your case if you'd done that I bet the fans wouldn't run - meaning the problem is elsewhere.

Rapping the motors is a good idea. You can also wire 12v directly from the battery to each fan, to verify that they work.

If not the motors, then there;s a couple relays to deal with.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Default 1992 accord overheating-cooling fans wont turn on

Thanks for the advise...i got a paper clip and jumped the switch to see if the fans came on and they both come on. so i changed the switch and the relay under the hood and under the dash by the clutch pedal and still nothing would happen...i know the fans work but i just cant figure out where the problem is..its really frustrating at this point cuz they turn on if i jump it but once i plug it into the sensor nothing happens my next guess is that there a bad ground somewhere or loose wire???.... the fans also dont come on after the car is off either..if somebody can please try to help that would be great thanks.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Your last post is confusing. What switch and relay did you replace?

Old 09-29-2011, 08:40 AM

i replaced all the cooling fan switches that turn the cooling fans on and i also changed all the cooling fan relays and nothing worked

Old 09-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

You replaced temperature switch A on the thermostat housing (#14 in pic)? And jumping that connector turned on both fans?

Old 09-29-2011, 10:20 AM

yes i changed the sensor on the thermostat housing and i jumped the switch and both fans came on but after i plugged the sensor in the fans wouldn't come on....

Old 09-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Your test of jumping the connector pretty much narrows down the problem to the temperature switch A that you already replaced.

One other possibility is a stuck thermostat. When the engine starts to overheat, touch the upper and lower radiator hoses. Both should be hot, so do it quickly and be careful. Let us know if there is a huge temperature difference between the hoses.

Do you have a volt meter?

Quick Reply: 1992 accord Overheating-cooling fans wont turn on