General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 Accord shifting problems

Old 09-04-2011, 12:49 AM
Default 92 Accord shifting problems

Hello everyone. i am new here. sorry for my first post to be one asking for help. I searched through 10 pages of this section and didn't find any threads with similar problems. If i overlooked it please direct me that way.

i have a 92 Accord 2.2L EX with an automatic transmission. 2 weeks ago (August the 21st (Sunday)) the D4 light started flashing GREEN. I also had a major fluid loss as well as shifting problems. I put fluid in twice that day and it hasn't lost any fluid again since (i check it every day) and for the most part has shifted fine until today. i called my Honda friend and he said 2 things. 1) the transmission was gone 2) to pull the "back up" fuse to reset the codes and see if they came back on and was going to look up the codes for me when he went to work. the same week on Friday the light started flashing again. i pulled the codes that time and found a site that had a list of codes. now i don't know if it's all the same for all years and if it's not the same for all years if the ones i found are even the right ones. i had 2 codes. according to the list i found my 2 codes are the following: 7 -Shift Solenoid 'A' circuit open or shorted. 15 -Kick down switch circuit shorted. now i had to look up what a Kick Down switch did. i know where the shift solenoids are and what they do. at first i thought maybe they were shorting off each other. now i can only manually shift the car and it still flakes out sometimes going into second and third. putting it into D4 it wouldn't shift at all on it's own. i pulled the "back up" fuse again to reset it and now it shifts fine again. i really need to figure out what it is causing this. i think it was a year or so ago that i replaced the TCU because it was causing a no shifting problem. the GREEN light just stayed on no matter what gear i was in. i put a used TCU into the car and perhaps that unit now has a different problem from the last one or maybe it's the shift solenoids themselves?

PLEASE any assistance would be greatly appreciated. i can't afford a new car and i can't afford for this car to die completely. Thank you all so much in advance.

Last edited by Honda_Lady; 09-04-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

A "major fluid" loss that goes away without any work being done is VERY strange.

Then I would check/test/clean the solenoid(s) for proper operation and be sure to inspect the connector pins, be sure they are clean and making a good connection.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:24 AM

yea i know it's strange but hope it doesn't happen again. it lost enough to not touch the dip stick but didn't take much to bring it back up to the proper level. also when i lost fluid the second time there was no sign under the car of it having leaked out. so where did it go? i don't have a clue but i lifted the front end of the car up and crawled under as well as 2 guys from my church. (i did this in the church parking lot) the only fluid i saw was oil which i already knew about that leak.

ok i will do that. i was also wondering if perhaps it was the computer again because i can pull the back up fuse for a 10 seconds and the car shifts normally again. i am very confused by this. i would think if it was the solenoids themselves that pulling a fuse wouldn't temporarily fix it just like that. (i worked at Honda for a year, and graduated from the Automotive program here)

Last edited by Honda_Lady; 09-04-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

I'm hoping for the best too. Just know it very well could be the TCU.

Once the code is set, the tcu will go into "limp" mode. Pulling the fuse clears the code.

I referenced the connector(s) due to having seen this post before:

honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2860130

Old 09-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

It may be the TCU again, as it shifts fine after a reset. You may already have seen this link before:

techauto.awardspace.com/transmission.html

Old 09-04-2011, 12:02 PM

thanks for the link. i will check it out.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:46 AM

ok one more question about this problem. if it was something other then the TCU would it reset it self twice by pulling the "back up" fuse? if it would do that how long would it take for it to fail a test again? mine takes almost a week to fail a test again. if it was something like shift solenoids wouldn't it fail a test sooner?

thanks again.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

That is a tough question. If the mainshaft speed sensor (code 15) was bad, then the D4 light should turn on every time. Definitely check the electrical connector for any corrosion or damage to the wiring.

I would look on car-part.com to price used TCUs in junkyards by distance to see what one will cost you.

Before replacing the TCU, I would disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both battery cables. Once you do that, I would have the battery, alternator, and starter tested at a parts store. Charging/voltage problems could cause strange problems to pop up. Plus it is a free test.

Also, when the car acts up, check the codes again to see if you get the same codes.

How much transmission fluid did you have to add? Did you check the fluid with the engine turned off?

Old 09-09-2011, 02:08 AM

it doesn't turn on every time. i will check those connectors anyway just to be safe.

i keep a close eye on what my battery terminals and wires look like. i replaced my battery not too long ago to put an Interstate in. it's worth getting it checked though.

when it came on the second time i checked the codes again and both times it was the same codes. it still hasn't come on again after resetting it the second time *knocks on wood*

i had to add maybe a total of 8oz. (that's combining each time i had to add some) could have been a little less or a little more. and yes i checked it with the car turned off.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:16 AM

It sounds for sure like a faulty TCU. I have a 92 Accord and i had the same problem W/O the fluid loss ? but i bought a TCU on ebay replaced it and the problem went away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92 Accord shifting problems