General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Disassembling Driver's Seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 01:47 AM
Default Disassembling Driver's Seat

Hi! I have a 2003 4 cyl/4 door EX. I got in the other day, heard a small "pop", and the lumbar support was suddenly broken =( The handle is now loose and there is no effect when I move it. I was thinking I would try removing the back panel of the seat (cloth, not leather) to see if I could figure out what was broken, instead of taking it to the dealer and paying an arm and a leg for the diagnosis. Does anyone know how to remove the back panel of the driver's seat? I have some experience with minor maintenence (changing a headlight, cabin air filter, etc.), but I don't want to go ripping off the back of the seat without knowing where the panel attaches. I didn't see anything about this issue in the manual. Any tips would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Old 08-15-2011, 01:54 AM
Default P.S.

I wasn't sure which category this question falls under (new user!), so feel free to tell me where to move this post if I'm in the wrong place here! Thanks! =)

Old 08-15-2011, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator

This is the correct place to post. If you open the common DIY thread which is the second post in the general tech help forum, there is a link for online shop manuals. In Desert Honda's post, there is a link for an 03 shop manual that you have to use Internet explorer to use the manual. Under the body section, it will show you how to disassemble the front seat.

Another route is to buy a shop manual. The site automanualsource.com has an 03-07 manual for $21.99 that you can download as a pdf. It is worth the investment if you plan on DIY work in my opinion.

If the lumbar support broke, you may not be able to access it from the back.

Another option would be to use the car-part.com site. It searches junkyards by price or distance. You may be able to find a seat for pretty cheap that is cloth and the same color as your car. They grade their parts, so an A rating is a seat in good shape. Removing the whole seat is simpler than replacing the support.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:29 AM
Default Thanks!

From what I read in the shop manual, this is certainly a more intricate project than I thought... I can see how it might be better to just replace the seat. Anyway thanks for the ideas, I'll post an update once I fix this in case any other accord owners are having the same issue.....

Old 09-13-2012, 03:09 PM

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at...3&d=1080611399

Know this is way late, but I was looking for the same solution; doesn't look toooooooo bad.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by bds85466
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at...3&d=1080611399

Know this is way late, but I was looking for the same solution; doesn't look toooooooo bad.
Thank you!! Actually I haven't tackled the project yet LOL, and these directions look a lot easier than what I was thinking I needed to do to fix it... hopefully it'll work. Thanks again!

Old 09-17-2012, 08:41 AM

No problem. That's the fun thing about these forums, every once in awhile you give up on searching and come back to it and it turns out to be easier than you thought. It's happened to me every once in a while where someone has the exact same problem and works you through it! I'm glad I could help.

I've got an 03 EX V6 (leather). Mine did the classic "pop" that you described about a month ago, and wouldn't you know, like 6 days after I injured my low back. That extra lumbar support would be great for my 45 minute commute....

So finally I got some time and went searching for the info and found that TSB the other day; put my parts on order on Friday. You'll need that seat cradle and a couple of clips.

Really doesn't look too complicated, taking that panel off the back of the seat, removing some linkages, replacing it, and sewing (well, not literally) er back up!

If I get to replacement, I'll let you know how it goes. From the looks of the TSB it's only a 0.4 hour job so even worse case you could probably have the dealer do it for 40-50 bucks (if you assume a $100/hr shop rate).

Originally Posted by lauralime
Thank you!! Actually I haven't tackled the project yet LOL, and these directions look a lot easier than what I was thinking I needed to do to fix it... hopefully it'll work. Thanks again!