Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

92 accord wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Question 92 accord wont start

i have a 92 accord ex it wont start but i got the starter checked and it was "fine".. i was told it is either the relay the starter or wires not hooked up right. i need some help to figure this out..

thank you!!!!

Old 07-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

When you turn keyswitch to Start, does the starter click, engage but fail to turn, turn slowly, or absolute silence?

Was car previously starting well and running good?

good luck

Old 07-08-2011, 02:40 PM

it was my brothers car he moved so it sat at my sisters for over 6 weeks had to tow it. it was having a small clicking and i dont think it was even turning all the way the lights would come on and once i pulled the key out the fan would come on... i dont really get this car but i need to.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Two things to consider here. Although it has lights, the battery still needs enough charge/cold cranking amps to spin the starter. Do an overnite trickle charge of the battery or replace it. Next, the clicking sound was likely the starter solenoid switch.
These are known to fail, and could need to be replaced as well.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:39 PM

Agree w/ Bigpat. Charge the battery and see what happens. Clean battery terminals and make sure connections are secure.

good luck

Old 07-08-2011, 06:14 PM

thanks for the help guys. im a girl so this is gonna help lol.. thing is i have to get a new battery first. there was also a huge puddle of i think transmission fluid under the car??

Old 07-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by MyHonda92
thanks for the help guys. im a girl so this is gonna help lol.. thing is i have to get a new battery first. there was also a huge puddle of i think transmission fluid under the car??
If you suspect a transmission fluid leak, don't do much driving until you can top it off. Be sure that you can find the dipstick...it is located under and behind the distributor just above the starter motor. You must warm the car up to normal temp before checking the ATF level. Be sure to check with the Honda manual or call the dealer for the right ATF to use...There are a couple of different kinds, and you need to use the correct one.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:18 AM

Ok sounds good to me. Ill keep that in mind! Thank you!!

Old 07-09-2011, 08:43 AM

These cars are very unlikely to leak ATF, so be sure it's not power steering or engine oil. If it is confirmed ATF (red color), then look for a trans cooler hose leak. About only other way for a leak is a loose solenoid or cracked trans case.

Post what you find after replacing or charging battery.

good luck

Old 07-09-2011, 04:02 PM

it was more brownish green. thanks!!

i will it might be a couple days...

Quick Reply: 92 accord wont start