Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Stereo Problems--2003 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 10:22 PM
Default Stereo Problems--2003 Honda Accord

I have had problems with my radio/CD player since 2008. The stereo had worked fine until 2008, when a CD suddenly became stuck. Unable to eject the CD, I listened to the radio for about 6 months until the CD suddenly ejected itself one day on its own.

In 2010, the entire stereo and clock unit started acting up. When I start my car, sometimes the radio works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I just hear a high pitch squeal, sometimes I hear nothing, and sometimes the system plays normally. When I start the car, sometimes the clock face goes blank and then the time appears again. One afternoon I was working in my backyard, planting flowers, and I heard the stereo come on in my car a couple times, even though the car was not running and had not been driven since the day before.

At this point, there is no way I can buy a Honda again with stereo problems like this. It's so frustrating every time I go anywhere dealing with the radio situation. Can anyone advise me on what might be causing this? I've never had an accident or anything like that so there are no external factors that could have led to this.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:34 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

before you decide on never buying a vehicle first it is best to check for known problems and see what the company has done to correct the problem. The 2003 accord stereos were recalled. honda extended the warranty to 110k miles to cover this problem.

when ever buying a vehicle I would highly suggest registering it online with the manufacturer so that you are updated on all recalls and problems. also so you know this year car also has transmission problems. honda will work with you on that too. they paid for half of a new transmission from a garage of our choice when we had to have the transmission replaced.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:37 PM

Are you sure about that? I asked them and they said they had never heard of this problem and never mentioned the recall. I even asked. I asked at the service desk and over the phone. I only have 77,000 miles on my vehicle. Where did you hear about this? If this is true, I will call them tomorrow but I need specific proof.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:49 PM

I just looked for a recall on the radio and cannot find one. There is the recall on headlights and the transmission but I can't find one for the radio.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:57 PM

I found the recall. The problem with that recall is it's only if the light has gone out (i.e. if the clock face does not appear). Mine does. The face still shows as though the music is playing, but no sound comes out. I do remember them mentioning that issue, but nothing to do with no volume--just the clock face being blank.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:13 PM

ok. I wasnt too sure about how much it covered. I had mine replaced and they just told me that the radio was recalled. I assumed a recall meant any and all problems with the unit.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:30 PM

I think you're right--that they should just replace it. I am working with a Honda service center in Delaware and I am not impressed with their customer service. They like to shirk any responsibility and don't seem to realize that in doing so, they will lose future customers. I am going to do what I can to get them to fix this issue. I cannot believe when I first mentioned this that they did not immediately let me know the radio was recalled and they would replace it.

This is another reason I will not buy a Honda again. I don't trust the retailer here and that shady behavior is trickling down to their service center.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:41 AM

I guess it could depend on the dealers in the area. when our transmission went out we didnt realize it was recalled. we found out about a week after it was in the shop. we just went to the local honda dealer and told them this and they offered to pay for half.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:44 PM

Yes, you're right, it definitely does. I took my Honda in yesterday to the Honda service center because the ABS sensors have failed in the front right and rear tires. While there, they failed to mention a recall in the ignition interlock switch. I called Honda services this morning (the toll free number) to tell them about the radio issue since I found that a service bulletin had been issued about the problem and wanted to know what I should do next to potentially have my stereo replaced. They told me to have the radio looked at so they could confer with the service agent. The guy also asked me if I had the ignition interlock switch fixed, which had been recalled and needs to be taken care of, and I said no one had mentioned that to me and I asked if they should have when I took my Honda in yesterday. He said yes and asked me what dealership it is, and I gave him that information. He said he was going to find out why they had not said something and was troubled by that. A friend speculated that maybe this dealership doesn't like losing money on recall services and keeps the information quiet. Looks like I will need to find another Honda dealership to start taking my car to for service. This is ridiculous!

Old 06-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

I love my Honda dealership. they have been great. the trick with recall work is that the dealer doesn't get paid until they submit to Honda. some don't want to do that for whatever reason.

As far as buying a vehicle goes, the radio is far down on my list of concerns (mostly because I replace them instantly). more important to me is reliability and resale. I have 140k on my Accord and it's never seen a shop to have repair work done. just maintenance. that is pretty cool, considering many vehicles made in the last 20 years are only good for 100k before all hell breaks loose and it's a junker. my Camry's have been the same way. Fabulous reliability.

Recalls and warranty work don't bother me, as long as the dealer covers it.

2003-2004 were bad years for Honda radios. They had just changed the radio in 2003 and it had issues. It was the first year of integration and it didn't work out so well. Many vehicles have stereo/changer/display issues.

And don't blame Honda, it's a Pioneer head unit!!! Honda didn't even make the thing, they just got them from Pioneer. Blame Pioneer!

Quick Reply: Stereo Problems--2003 Honda Accord