General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 Honda accord Check Engine Light is on!

Old 02-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Default 2002 Honda accord Check Engine Light is on!

Hey, guys. This is my first thread in this forum and this is my first car. I have a 2002 honda accord Lx 4cyl, 149,000 miles. CEL came on a few months ago, and I took my car to autozone, the OBD code is P0137, which said my front o2 sensor is bad. So, I orderd a Front Denso Oxygen Sensor, manufacturer number is 36531PAA305. That is the part number I asked from a Honda dealer.
After I reset the code, the CEL came back 2 days later, and this time OBD code changed to P0131, which also said o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 low voltage. The CEL was not on all the time, sometimes it went off and maybe 1 or 2 days later, came back again and so on.
I dont know what I should check. The autozone said I can check the sensor wire connection. I dont know how to check this, anyone can tell me how to check this? Or, any other possibilities for causing this problem? Thanks!

Old 02-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

P0131 is low voltage sensed by ECU so could mean wiring damge or current leakage to ground (dirty connection?).

Check for oil/dirt in the connector pins on both sides. Clean w/ WD40 or similar light fluid. Check the wiring for obvious damage.

good luck

Old 02-07-2011, 09:25 AM

Also when my car shift, especially for the 1st gear and the lock-out gear, I can feel kind of jerking. Considering my car has a high miles, is this normal? I drain and refill the tranny fluid 1 month ago. Is there anything I can do to help this (except changing the transmission)? Even to make the situation a little better. Thanks!

Old 02-07-2011, 11:45 AM

Did you use Honda ATF Z1? If not, I would suggest drain/replace the fluid again. If fluid was especially nasty (black and burnt smelling), you should consider repeating drain/drive/replace 3 times to remove most of old fluid. Only about 1/2 the fluid is drained by draining the trans reservoir.

Honda ATF is formulated for Honda transmissions and seems to work better by all accounts.

Are there any codes associated w/ transmission (P07nn usually)? If yes, post them for additional guidance.

good luck

Old 02-08-2011, 02:57 AM

Thanks for helping me! I did use the ATF-Z1 fluid, which I bought in Honda dealership. The reason I drain and refill only once is that, someone told me, to a high miles car, if I drain and refill 3 times together, that is almost the same as flush, which will break down my transmission immediately, they said I should drain and refill these 3 times each 3000-4000 miles. I just took their suggestions. is that ture? P0131, thats the only code autozone gave after they checked it. I think they would tell me if there were more OBD codes.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:39 AM

It won't do any harm to drain/replace 2 more times.

good luck

Old 02-08-2011, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

What Honda auto-transmissions seem to have a problem with, is being flushed with an external pump (part of the flushing machine). Draining & filling repeatedly is NOT the same as flushing with an external pump. Still, it doesn't hurt to drive around a week or more between.

Once you have clean fluid, it's good to establish a schedule (maybe 25k miles) where the oil never gets very dirty so you only have to drain/fill once.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:53 AM

Thanks! Jim. Is that mean I can do drain and refill three times together to get rid of the dirty tranny fluid? I noticed that my tranny fluid is not very clean yet(at least better than before). But I am afraid to do three times too close between each time.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Well, the idea is that the torque converter never drains, so you can only drain about 1/3 of the total fluid. You want it well-mixed before doing the next drain/fill. That's pretty vague, but I guess driving 50 miles is OK, especially if there's a lot of shifting like city-driving.

Maybe one of the other guys who knows more about automatic transmissions will chime in. I don't really know how much or how quickly the fluid exchanges into/out of the torque converter.

For me, it seems more convenient to wait for another day (or next weekend).

Old 02-10-2011, 03:02 AM

Well, I used to see a thread which said He did not change the tranny fluid regularly(havent been changed for about 50000miles), l then he changed the fluid and the tranny died. Thats really scared me. He said the old fluid contained some kind of inclusion,which helped tranny work fine. when you changed it, tranny cant work anymore or made the shift slipping worse. Anyone have any idea about this? is this ture? Cuz last time my car's tranny fluid was changed is about 100,000 miles. So, I am a little worried about this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 Honda accord Check Engine Light is on!