General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1996 Accord with a no start problem but has a new battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Exclamation 1996 Accord with a no start problem but has a new battery

So im a newbie to the forums. But i do know my fair share of cars. I have a 96 accord ex 4cyl. This morning it started and ran fine. I come home this afternoon to start it to go somewhere and no start/no electrical period. I jumped it with the family SUV and it started.(no starter problem) The battery was replace september 2010(last month). I got the battery tested and its fine. But i try to start it up for AAP(Advance Auto parts) to continue the test and no start again. also if it means anything the lights for gear select flash for about 5 seconds but stop and during that time the clicker for hazards also click but the hazards dont flash. Any ideas?

Old 10-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Administrator
Arrow

Did you check battery cables for cracks and corrision before you put them back on...?
Also Maybe starter solenid not good
Also Bad ignition switch....

There are other things to check also..get a haynes maint book from AutoZone...

Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Is there a security system installed on your car other than the anti-theft for the radio that was stock with the car?

Old 10-28-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
Did you check battery cables for cracks and corrision before you put them back on...?
Also Maybe starter solenid not good
Also Bad ignition switch....

There are other things to check also..get a haynes maint book from AutoZone...

the cables are fine and i doubt the starter. prolly isnt ign switch either.
i think its ICU. has anyone ever had problems with their ICU's? it apparently controls the dash stuff.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Is there a security system installed on your car other than the anti-theft for the radio that was stock with the car?
no sir. no other anti theft besides the factory one in the radio

Old 10-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure what you meant by no electrical, so I have a few more questions.

When you turn the key to the II position, and not try to start the car, does the check engine light turn on for about 2 seconds? Do you hear the main relay click from under the dash. Does the radio, hazards, turn signals, etc work?

When you try to turn the key to start the car, do you hear one loud click?

Old 10-29-2010, 03:48 PM

Not sure what you meant by no electrical, so I have a few more questions.

When you turn the key to the II position, and not try to start the car, does the check engine light turn on for about 2 seconds? Do you hear the main relay click from under the dash. Does the radio, hazards, turn signals, etc work?

When you try to turn the key to start the car, do you hear one loud click?
now i do. its been starting fine now. but after you start it up it clicks from under the steering column now. all the lights on the car flash intermittently. including the interior lights but not the headlights.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

I would definitely clean and tighten all ends of both battery cables, just to be sure that isn't your problem. It probably is not, but worth a shot.

When the car is running, try shaking the key. If it stalls or things start clicking, then I would suspect an ignition switch problem. The headlights are not wired through that switch, so that does explain why the interior lights are acting up and not the headlights.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:13 PM

I would definitely clean and tighten all ends of both battery cables, just to be sure that isn't your problem. It probably is not, but worth a shot.

When the car is running, try shaking the key. If it stalls or things start clicking, then I would suspect an ignition switch problem. The headlights are not wired through that switch, so that does explain why the interior lights are acting up and not the headlights.

thanks. ill give it a try. funny thing is the blinkers on the front and rear dont blink when i turn on the headlights. though something still clicks. and its a hazard type click.