Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Honda Accord 2000 - Intermittent issue - Engine Light ON / Jerks on 3k revs

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 03:53 AM
Exclamation Honda Accord 2000 - Intermittent issue - Engine Light ON / Jerks on 3k revs

I have a Honda Accord 2000 1.8 that runs fine. However every once in a while the engine management light comes on (not flashing).
Once this is on the car can not top 3k revs and it starts jerking. Even on neutral when you put your foot down the engine jerks.

Engine also stalls during the drive, which is dangerous as steering gets jam. Starting car again works but I have noticed in those cases the fuel guage goes to E and light comes on (even though before stalling it was showing correctly half a tank). The idle revs are also too low. Are these two problems sign of something else wrong? Something with fuel injection?

One suspect was CAT which a garage tested for me and it is fine. Another garage tested for the code and it came out P1607.
I was told that the Engine Control Module is at fault and it needed to be sent away for either repair or replacement.
Cost around 300~400 pounds in both cases.

Just wanted to know if this is what might be it or I could be out of pocket for this money with fault still there.

Any questions please ask me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

P1607 = ECM/PCM internal circuit failure A

Unfortunately, that DOES sound like the ECM has failed it's own internal checks.

Reset your ECU & see if it comes back. Don't get your hopes up, but this has a small chance of working.

The USA car can be reset like this:
Fuse box in the right-side of the dashboard. Near the right-front door hinge. With the key OFF, remove fuse #13.
Not sure whether the fuse locations are the same in other countries. Where are you located?

You can also reset by removing the negative battery cable for a minute or so. But then you might have to enter a security code for anti-theft of the radio?? (another USA feature you may or may not have)

Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 AM

Thanks Jim for a quick reply.

I am in UK and yes I think I will have to re-enter the security code if I cut the battery off. I will check online for fuse location for UK models and try resetting that.

What do you think of the fuel supply system (or whatever it is called) being the culprit here?

Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

I think that would have triggered it's own different error codes. I think that code is pretty specific about a failed ECM. But it won't cost you anything to try resetting.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:32 AM

hey JimBlake,

For life of me I could not find the fuse and I want to get my hands on the radio code before I disconnect the battery. Anyway I found something stranger, when I took it to first garage who checked CAT was because they could not find the plug to check engine code. Even though the manual says it should be under the carpet on passenger side it is no where to be found.

Then it was this second garage who gave me code P1607.

Now just to confirm that it is the right code I took it this weekend to two garages and both could not find the plug to check engine code.

I am now wondering where did P1607 code came in from and how was it received without the plug. It is suspected that it was either never fitted or removed/pushed in dashboard after wards.

Any other way for checking Engine code?

BTW It is a Euro model (I am here in Queen's land)
The engine is F18B2.
Rest of details:
ACCORD I-VTEC SE (MK6)
Engine Size 1850 cc
Manufactured 2000
Transmission MANUAL

A couple of people have suspected fuel system at fault. I might get it checked/fixed as it is much cheaper than ECM thing.

Thanks

Old 08-17-2010, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, the Accords made in Swindon are not even the same car as a USA Accord. So I don't know where they put all the fuse boxes.

On the USA Accord, the plug for reading the OBD-2 codes is under the dashboard way over to the left, above the driver's left knee. Well, since USA drivers sit on the wrong side, I don't know what they do to that plug over in UK.