Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Exhaust (size) question(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Default Exhaust (size) question(s)?

Thanks for everybodies input and assistance in regards to my former posts.....very informative site...this post is in regards to exhaust questions....i have a (my signature) and i'm assuming that the size of the oem/stock exhaust are 2" piping (correct me if i'm wrong) i want to obviously upgrade....ok here's my dileema.......i have a blown stock muffler and would like to start by getting an aftermarket (Magnaflow) Muffler FIRST....and then in the future have the entire system, changed out...but what size should i got with? 2.5"? or 3"? Just wondering what's the biggest i can go without downgrading it's performance....

Old 05-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Default RE: Exhaust (size) question(s)?

What mods do you have? If you plan to turbo in the future, 3 is good, but will decrease performance untill the turbo comes into play. Otherwise, I'd stick with OEM...

Old 05-30-2006, 02:55 PM

ah hah...is that right? I did 3 on my 86 300zx turbo and it was amazing.....but i understand NOW (thanks to you) where the back pressure principle comes into play.....i currently have no mods...but i plan on having the entire exhaust system done over (headers, muffler, cat, etc) so oem size is 2? or 2.5? again this is an assumtion on my part sir...nothing fancy about the 2.2 liter either....no vtec, no bored out pistons....nothing...

Old 05-30-2006, 03:10 PM

I'm pretty sure oem is 2 inch. What year/model do you have?

I have oem mid piping with a turbo and it is killing me. I need 3 inch badly!

Old 05-30-2006, 03:13 PM

oh yea?...well i have a 92 honda accord wagon LX.....so when you have your set up (oem mid piping and a turbo) is the performance watered down? does it make a whistlie sound when it spools?

Old 05-30-2006, 03:17 PM

I have a 3 inch down pipe flowing into oem piping right after the cat (don't have a cat, but where the cat used to be).

You can hear it spool and whistle nicely when it gets going, but I think top end power and spool time are being hurt by the small piping. I really need to custom fab some pipe or something, just haven't gotten around to it!

Yeah though, i'm pretty sure the 92 accord has 2 inch piping throughout.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:33 PM

Sweet! yea mbo1985...you HAVE to "finish" the 3"er after the cat man.....i'm sure it would help your engine breathe A LOT more/better...and your engine'll thank you for it by letting you feel/see the actual difference....meanwhile *sighs* i guess i'll get the planning on my 2" exhaust project,lol......at least it'll be headers, and magnaflow products...

Old 05-30-2006, 03:46 PM

I know, maybe I'll order the piping tonight. I know I would notice a difference. I was just so anxious to take the car out when I did the turbo install, I really cut that corner and have yet to do it right.

You'll feel a difference with those headers and that exhaust. Plus it's always fun to get your hands dirty and mess with your car.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:50 PM

dude you HAVE to let me know the difference....perhaps it was a good thing you cut corners...this way you'll feel/hear the full performance gain once you've made that adjustment...thanks for the info man...once i get the cash i'mma get right on it...

Old 05-30-2006, 04:04 PM

No problem, I'll let you know any difference I notice. I'm sure I will notice one too. Maybe it will be like the first time I drove it after the turbo was on and working properly!

Quick Reply: Exhaust (size) question(s)?