General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How to install the airbag

Old 05-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Default How to install the airbag

Hi,

Attached is my car, 2001 Honda Accord EX. Airbags of driver and passenger sides both come out.
Could it be fixed? I want to ask if I could buy new or used ones and install airbags by myself ? Could anyone tell me how to fix them to save money? Thank you very much!

Attached Thumbnails How to install the airbag-ssl12720.jpg  
Old 05-14-2010, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Not enough information...

Where are you? I think in some states it's illegal to buy/sell used airbags.

I'd recomment getting a Helm shop manual (www dot helminc dot com) because you can hurt yourself if you accidentally set off the new airbags while installing them.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Default Re

Thank you for your reply, I am in Kansas State. My seat belt also have no tension. I want to ask whether I could only replace the seat blet without install airbag. Thanks a lot

Old 05-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

The seatbelt may be warrantied for life by Honda. I would call a dealership and tell them that you have no tension on the belt and see what they will do.

You will definitely have to buy airbags that are not deployed. Also get a shop manual like Jim suggested to give you the proper procedure to replace them.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Physically replacing them should be very easy. The reason for a shop manual is it's important to understand how to plug them in without setting off their charges. I've never had to do that so I don't want to guess.

Honda might not warranty that stuff after a collision. They may say the "useful life" of the car ends when it's in that kind of collision - where the airbags go off. But it's worth a phone call.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Default RE

Thank you for your answer. As you said, I can change the seat belt for free even after a accident? Do you know how much would pay if I want to find some dealer for installation only. I mean I buy the airbags of driver and passenger sides by myself

Old 05-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Default RE

I still have another question. Could I only install the seat belt without airbag and drive normally on the street. Or Whether I could install seat belt first, and after some time I install the airbag.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Physically, you could do whatever you want with seatbelts & airbags. Most likely state law will require seatbelts but maybe not require airbags.

Certain state law (Calif??) requires that if the car was originally equipped with airbags, then you are required to have them. I don't know the laws in all states. Heck, I don't even know all the legal details in Ohio.

As far as Honda covering stuff under warranty, I doubt they'll cover airbags that go off in a collision. After all, they did their job. Seatbelt are probably the same way. But it's worth a phone call to ask.