General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Leaking Antifreeze

Old 03-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Default Leaking Antifreeze

1994 Accord LX

While changing the oil today, there was a steady drip of antifreeze right next to the oil plug drain.

We bought the Accord used at about 196k miles, and I believe the previous owner had replaced the timing belt a few thousand miles before he sold it to us.

The area to work in is very compact. I have considered using some BarsLeak opposed to changing the waterpump/waterpump gasket. I undersdtand that the antifreeze does no good to the timing belt.

Is there any pictures/videos here on how to replace a water pump?

Old 03-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Look for a thread in DIY about changing the timing belt. It's the same job, because the waterpump is driven by the timing belt. Once the timing belt is off, the waterpump is right there.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:50 PM

I'll do that.

Thanks

Old 03-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

woooooo........ pressure test the system and properly identify the leak.. could be a hose.. do not replace any parts till you are 100% sure where the leak is coming from......

Old 03-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

uummmmm.... YES!

Timing belt & water pump is an awful big job if it turns out the leak is somewhere else.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:13 PM

I would not use any leak sealers since they can clog the heater core.You are better off finding the leak than pouring a band aid fix into there.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:04 AM

The waterpump is not in the area of the oil drain plug.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Leaking waterpump drains through a weep-hole towards the back of the enigne, but still it's at the pulley-end of the engine. It could travel over towards the drain plug, but it SHOULD(?) be apparent where it's really coming from.

There's a block-drain-plug near the oil filter. If that's leaking, it'll drain down near the oil-drain-plug.

There's a steel tube running across the back side of the eninge, from the thermostat to the waterpump. Couple little hoses clamped on it, so one of those might be leaking.

TEST IT. Clean everything up as best you can, then get/rent/borrow a pressure tester. It attaches where the radiator cap goes, and you can pressurize the cooling system cold. That way you can look for the leak & find out where it's REALLY coming from.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:59 PM

I had a little trouble finding the right adapter for the radiator on my 1995 with my pressure checker. I think I got it off Amazon but others sell it. Finding where a leak starts from is hard without it. I have a feeling it is going to be something easy to correct.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Newest Of Newbies

did you resolve this problem?im having the same problem now after i put in a thermostat. my accord didnt have one in it. since they say in florida you dont need one. i think i will take it out and see if the leaking starts again.reason for changing/putting in thermostat was because the temp on the car was passed half close to line where the red is but then it would fall back down after fans came on. so i thought maybe bad thermostat is the problem.but now im reading about weephole drains and also possibly bad water pump now.also i have a 97 accord lx, automatic with 131,000k on it.

Last edited by DADEZACCORD; 03-15-2011 at 11:33 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking Antifreeze