General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Leaking Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Leaking Power Steering Pump

I have a 93 Accord LX and have been having issues with power steering fluid foaming. I know there is air getting into the system somewhere and have noticed fluid leaking from the seam of my power steering pump. I checked the lines and could only find it leaking from the area marked in the photo.Now could this cause the air in the system. ( see photo ) I also have a torn boot on my steering rack I believe it's called. A mechanic said it wouldn't hurt anything to drive with it like it is know because I don't have the money to fix right now. Just to keep an eye on the fluid. Is that true. And one other question. I have oil stains coming from the air intake tube. ( see other photo ) What exactly is this. And what do I need to do to fix this problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Leaking Power Steering Pump-power-steering-pump.jpg   Leaking Power Steering Pump-air-intake.jpg  
Old 11-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

The seals for the P/S pump are available from the dealer[about$10], FWIW the P/S rack Bellows is there to protect the rack seals from dirt and grime. Better to spend $20 on a new boot now than $200 for a new rack in a few months.

The oil stain on the breather tube is fairly normal, it is sucking oil vapor from the valve cover to use as a fuel enrichment.
Your engine might be getting a little blowby pressure and shoving a little extra vapor thru the tube

Old 11-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Newest Of Newbies

The only symptoms I'm really having with the power steering is the foaming of the fluid. I have to keep the level fairly low or the fluid will come pouring out the filler cap of the resevoir, and sometimes it will make like a growling noise when I'm turning, but it's not a constant noise. Now as far as the pump goes, how hard is it to change those seals. And the boot on the rack also. I'm doing this in my garage and I've got limited tooling. And would the seals be causing the air in the system.
Thanks .

Last edited by Randy367; 11-19-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

First, check one thing to rule it out...

The PS fluid reservoir has a fine mesh screen down low (below the liquid level). If that's plugged up with dirt, then the pump will have a hard time sucking fluid so it sucks air from wherever it can.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Can I just suck the fluid out of the reservoir with a turkey baster or something and see it or do I need to drain system and remove the reservoir. I hate bleeding any systems, I have nothing but trouble when I have to bleed anything.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

You can do that to SEE the screen, but if you need to clean it then you have to remove the reservoir. If you leave the hoses filled, you won't need to bleed the system.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:45 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Will do that this weekend. Is the PS self bleeding or no. Some people say it is and some say no.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

a p/s fluid leak can suck air into system and cause fluid to foam up at reservoir,,,I have seen a stupid little o-ring at p/s pump hose cause the very same issue ,,,I would fix the leak before anything,, Now if the p/s rack is not leaking and the boot is torn i would replace the p/s rack boot ASAP .. there are seals at the end on each side of the p/s rack , if boot is torn, water and other junk can get and sit in the shaft, it will eventually cause the seal to leak,, could be 1 day could be 1 month ,,
As the old saying goes

Pay me a little now ... or,,,, pay me a lot more later

Old 11-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Well I couldn't see any screen looking down into the reservoir, all I could really see was like a plunger because I could push it down but no screen. It looks like the reservoir is divided in half horizontally. I also noticed while I had the car running, I could see fluid pooling up on top of the PS pump. I attached a photo. It's the area marked in black. That's the only spot it was pooling at. Would changing the seals cure that or are the seals for the lines only. I tried tightening the bolts but there pretty tight. Is there a seal around that area that if I take that apart that I can change, or do I need to get a new pump. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Leaking Power Steering Pump-power-steering-pump.jpg  
Old 11-21-2009, 11:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

tell the dealer that you want all the seals that are in the p/s pump and also the seal ( o-ring )for the p/s pressure hose that connects at pump.....

Quick Reply: Leaking Power Steering Pump