General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

is my fuel pump bad or relay ?

Old 09-15-2009, 10:54 AM
hondabuyer
Unregistered
Default is my fuel pump bad or relay ?

ok i have a 91 honda accord sometime the car dont start at frist i though it was due to and s light blinking but i got it to start with the s light blink so i figure it can't be that sometime the car dont want to start once the car start it never die so i am thinking if it a bad fuel pump relay it would die atlest one time once it running but it never does.
When the car dont want to start i pull the fuel line out of the fuel rail to check see if it getting fuel with the ingition key on no fuel coming from it after turning the ingition key on and off serval time once in a wild fuel will come out the line for about 2 to 3 secound then i hear a click and it stop i would think that be the relay but why would it stop ? i try jumping the fuel pump buy connecting a gound wire to the gound wire on the fuel pump and a + wire still the pump not working ?
The add thing about this is when i do screw on back the line on the fuel rail the car start fine what the hell i want to replace the pump and see that the problem anyone ever had this problem any help would be great thanks.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:49 PM

Sounds like the main relay to me, mine was doing the same thing.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

When you turn the key to ON (but don't start the engine); it's SUPPOSED to run for 2 seconds then stop. So that part is correct (when the pump runs at all).

The proper way to decide between bad main relay vs. bad fuelpump, is to measure electric power on the fuel pump wiring back at the fuel tank. I'd try to measure something like that before I buy a new pump (in case the pump isn't the real problem).

Old 09-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

get to the fuel pump connector, there are 2 wires yellow ( power ) and black ( ground) .turn the key on, have someone crank the engine, you should have both power and ground...
.If you do and not getting gas, most likely fuel pump is bad

if no power , most likely main relay
if no ground , just fix the black wire to a good ground

Old 09-16-2009, 08:52 AM
hondabuyer
Unregistered

i check the gound and the power both good along with the 3 wire all the wire have power when i turn the key to the on postion but dont start the car not all the time the fuel come out sometime i can turn the key on and off for 10 to 15 time nothing and sometime the frist 3 time fuel turning the key on fuel come out for about 2 to 3 secound then i hear a click and it stop.
so which one do i replace fuel pump or relay ?
got power at the pump.
should i try replace the relay frist ?

Old 09-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

I'd say to try the main relay, after reading the last post.
It is really easy to open up the relay and look for cracked solder joints at the relay coil connections on the circuit board.
Google search "honda main relay" and there will be thousands of hits.
You can find one that shows the solder joints.
Beyond that you'll need to check the ignition switch is putting power to the relay

Last edited by hondadude; 09-16-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-16-2009, 10:56 PM
hondabuyer
Unregistered

ok i check the volt on the fuel pump there 3 wire one gound which is good one battery which i got 11.4 and a next one which i got 6.4 which is normal.
now this is what i notice when the car dont want to start is when i turn the key on not start and the check engine light go away just when the engine light go away i hear a click what is that click the fuel pump relay ?
when i dont hear that click and the check engine light goes away that when the car dont want to start so i need to know what the click anyone know ?

Old 09-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

All of the clicks you hear are from the fuel pump relay (commonly called the main fuel relay).

Old 09-17-2009, 10:12 AM
hondabuyer
Unregistered

it just one click so it the fuel pump relay that click can someone tell me why it click does it engage when it click ? so it a bad relay ?