General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Accord-no spark, no fuel

Old 07-20-2009, 09:45 AM
NYcarNUT
Unregistered
Default 94 Accord-no spark, no fuel

New here, not new to the Accord, have loss track of how many I have had over the years and been able to fix most that broke but this one has me stumped...

1994 Accord LX Automatic 4 cy. 4 door. It has high miles and is a little rust (tyoical NY stuff). I have had this car running once, ran like a top. Now I have a no start condition

I have checked as much wiring as I can, dash is all apart and both fuse blocks have been checked. I know the fuel pump is good and I also have confirmed fuses, main relay, distibutor, coil, are all good. I do not hear the main relay clicking when I turn key to run. Battery is good, dack lights all come on when I turn key to run. The D4 light starts blinking and every now and then the speedo will go to 20, turn key off it goes back to 0. Starter cranks fine but to avail can I get it to start. Once, about 6 months ago, I isolated fuel pump and got it to run, and it ran perfect. The second time I did it, is when the speedo and D4 light started acting up and it hasnt run since. I am stumped and was curious if anyone else has had this symptom. The guy I bought it from said his son was driving it and it just quit, no warning. There are no burnt wires (at least that I can see) and all the other electrical stuff works. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

A 94 shop manual can be downloaded from links in DIY section Online Manuals thread.

Short the service connector to get codes.

Test the ignition switch as directed in the manual.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:12 PM
NYcarNUT
Unregistered

Good thought, didn't think of that. BTW, I forgot to mention that I was able to test computer on other car and its fine. Will the computer store codes after battery is disconnected? I know the SRS codes stay, wasn't sure about engine/body etc. Thanks for input

Old 07-21-2009, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

No, disconnecting the battery will clear the codes. If the problem is still there, the code will return.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:00 PM
NYcarNUT
Unregistered

Update, ignition switch is good, no CEL, found two broken wires, fixed them still no spark/fuel. dash lights up, cluster goes through self test, I don't hear the fuel pump but it turns over. Tested for fuel and spark, none. Do these have crank or cam sensors that would prevent computer from sending signal for fuel or spark? Just for my own satisfaction I swapped out computer with know good one from same model year, trans etc. The ground wires are good and I checked all wire connections underhood.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Turn the key to the II position and check for 12V on the blk/yel wire that leads to the coil.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:58 PM
NYcarNUT
Unregistered

Yes there is power to the blacl/yellow wire at the distributor. Is it possible that the distributor is cooked? I discovered that in 94-95 non VTEC models had the crank sensor and TDC sensors in the distributor. Would that also prevent fuel pump from coming on? I have power at the white/green wire in the main relay. I know the relay is definately good as I retested it on a running car. I also did the same with coil too. I know if I keep pluging along I will figure it out. I appreciate all the help here. Great place for lots of info. These year accords are getting harder to find nice ones as the northeast tin worm has gotten to most. The 90-97 accords are my favorites.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i am trying to think what no spark and no fuel would have in common,,,,,,,,ignition switch,,,,,,,ecu,,,,,,but u checked both and they are ok,, chk the ground wire at the t-stat housing
i guess you have to start doing the eliminating process.........
for the no fuel issue,, did you chk power and ground at the fuel pump ????
does car have a non factory security system ?? and what did you mean by {quote } ( i don';t hear the fuel pump but it turns over )???, if you do not hear the fuel pump i would have to assume that either ( 1 ) pump is bad or ( 2 ) is not getting power and or ground ,,
you might have 2 separate issues here ........did you chk the ignitor ??

Old 07-21-2009, 05:54 PM
NYcarNUT
Unregistered

deserthonda-I did actually check what you have recommended. No power to fuel pump, the ground is good as I used it when I tested fuel pump by jumping the wire harness, pump is OK. ecu cane out of working car (same year trans etc.), tested ignition switch, thats OK, the only thing you did mention that I did not check is the ground wire at t-stat housing, will do that later. no alarm or anything, just an old 200k mile accord.... what kills me, is the one time I had it running, it ran awesome! otherwise I might have given up.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

I wonder if the transmission control unit (TCU) is having a problem or detecting one.

See if you can get that D4 light to start flashing by trying to start the car. Short the connector and get the D4 code. It might point to something with the transmission.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 Accord-no spark, no fuel