General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

power steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 10:44 AM
quique304
Unregistered
Default power steering leak

just a question. i had a little power steering leak last week, this morning i woke up to a big puddle of power steering. i'd noticed the top cap of the power steering full of fluid, but i do not know where its leaking from? from the hose or the cap? can the hose be no good anymore? or was the power steering overfull? plz help

Old 02-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: power steering leak

it would be really nice if you would let us know the year and model...........

Anyho.. you got a leak in your system, and it is sucking air , thus it is foaming up , it will fill the reservoir with air , which it will foam up and make look like you got too much fluid,,
Most p/s system on hondas .leak at the pump frt seal, or the p/s rack .
You need to have it checked out..

Old 02-27-2006, 11:39 AM

and it could be the high pressure hose too.....definately get it checked out.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:29 PM
quique304
Unregistered

my bad, its a 93 accord 10th anniversary... i've wipe it down, and pour hot water on it to see if the lines were frozen. its not leaking yet, but i haven't drove it. its not bubbling, just look like its pouring out the cap; i guess its not passing through the hoses... thanks

Old 02-27-2006, 12:30 PM
quique304
Unregistered

thank you

Old 02-27-2006, 02:23 PM

how full is the reservoir? it should not be above the full mark take some out if it is.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:07 PM

unless you overfilled the p/s reservoir,, or turn the wheels while car was not running ,( if you turn the wheels while car is not running, the fluid wil raise in the reservoir and spill from the top cover ) , you got a leak in the system..
Most common p/s pump frt seal, or p/s rack,,, high pressure hoses used to be a big issue till 89, starting in 90, very very rare,, although it still could leak as well..

Old 04-12-2006, 04:04 PM
CRWJumper
Unregistered

I just got back from the dealer, and he said that the PS rack on my 2003 Accord EX v6 was leaking. He showed me the fluid under the car on the boot (cover) under the drivers side, and recommended that I replace the PS rack. $1500!!

I am more inclined to just top off the PS fluid from time to time instead of pouring so much money into it at this point.

Is this a safe thing to do? Could other problems arise from this leak?

There is no PS fluid on my garage floor. The mechanic/advisor told me that it probably only leaks when I'm turning. I wasn't sure if I trusted him.
Any advice would be greatly appreaciaed.

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2006, 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: CRWJumper

I just got back from the dealer, and he said that the PS rack on my 2003 Accord EX v6 was leaking. He showed me the fluid under the car on the boot (cover) under the drivers side, and recommended that I replace the PS rack. $1500!!

I am more inclined to just top off the PS fluid from time to time instead of pouring so much money into it at this point.

Is this a safe thing to do? Could other problems arise from this leak?

There is no PS fluid on my garage floor. The mechanic/advisor told me that it probably only leaks when I'm turning. I wasn't sure if I trusted him.
Any advice would be greatly appreaciaed.

Thanks!
how many miles ?? 03 is still under warranty if less than 36k.. and even if you have more.. it should not leak at such low miles,,, I would talk to the Honda distyrict manager get the phone # from the dealer and ask that they should fix it for free ..

Old 02-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Accordude13
Unregistered

I, too, now have the power steering leak. I noticed it yesterday morning, when leaving for work. It was ten degrees. I started it and the growl started. I went ahead and drove it to work, as it quieted a bit once the car had warmed up. At work, I checked it. The fluid level was fine, but the resivoir was wet and puddling on the frame. So I called my local dealer and made an appointment. Should I be concerned about the fluid getting on the serpentine belt? My extended warranty is up in 900 miles. Whew, that was close, huh?! There are other probs I have - power lock on pass. side inop (was the drivers side, had fixed in Sept 07, 2 wks later was the pass side - suspicious????) and the plastic piece on the drivers seat where the pwr seat buttom located is broken and hanging. BTW.... mine is an 04 EX V6 Coupe with c. 93,100 miles.

Quick Reply: power steering leak