General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:33 PM
pkovo
Unregistered
Default Transmission diagnosis

'00 Accord SE 4 cylinder 170k miles auto tranny

On Friday, on a 50 mile ride, my transmission started acting up shifting between 1st and second. Basically, felt like a delayed shift. The check engine light did not come on. Never felt any problem in the past. Left the car where it was, and didn't address until today. Checked the fluid level, it's fine. The fluid was changed at 90k miles, and hasn't been changed since. However, it looks good, nice and pink and doesn't smell. Checked the resistance on the solenoids
- lock-up solenoids are 14.19 and 14.21 ohms to ground respectively - solenoid A is 14.7 ohms - solenoid B is 14.8 ohms.

Upon driving for about 20 minutes today, it drives fine. Can't get the transmission to exhibit any symptoms. Any ideas? Perhaps dirty connection on the plug to the solenoids??(wishful thinking perhaps) I know these transmissions have a host of problems, but if it was a true failure, I wouldn't expect it to exhibit the symptoms like this.

May be a longshot, but I still have the original battery. It needs to be repleced as it cranks a little slow and the negative terminal is gunked up, reads correct voltage though. Probably not likely, but if I had an intermittent short between plates in the battery, could voltage drain on the alternator effect the solenoids, or the TCM?

I would welcome any thoughts on this. Thanks.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Default RE: Transmission diagnosis

I would definatly replace the battery, and the coroded battery cables with a new set as the corosion
usually gets deeper into the cable than it looks. At least that will eliminate one posible cause.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

This sounds like the 6th generation tranny death. Be prepared for the worst. I've been through it and am now loving my Scion.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:13 PM
pkovo
Unregistered

Yeah, I'm going to give a good battery a shot. Actually, I think I'll probably start by pulling a battery from another vehicle, and see how that works out before I buy one. I know what you mean about the cables, on my truck the corrosion started to work it's way up the cable. I was able to cut the end off an put a new terminal on, but my truck hasn't seen the use this car has.

What makes it sound like the 6th generation tranny death? Are my symptoms typical. I read through as many posts about the 6th generation tranny as I could from this site and others, and I thought my symptoms were a little different. I didn't read about too many of the bad ones that lasted this long, nor that had nice clean looking fluid. Mine symptoms also started suddenly, then disappeared. I also notice as soon as someone mentions a tranny problem with the 6th generation, people assume the worst. Maybe rightfully so given the history of this generation of the Accord, but I would be willing to bet a fair share of trannys have been unnecesarrily replaced in these cars because people assumed the worst anytime the tranny acts up.

If it is in fact just a case of the tranny being shot, I won't replace it, not with the mileage I have. Actually, 170k trouble free miles, if the tranny is toast I can't be too upset. The thing is though, the car is in great shape otherwise. Still feels tight, and the engine has a lot of pep. At this point I'm not totally convinced the tranny is shot. At least not yet. If anyone has some other items to try and troubleshoot, please let me know.

I'm glad my newer accord hasa manual tranny.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would try to extract TCU codes. On earlier models (through 97 at least) some codes did not cause the D4 light to flash. Short service check connector and watch for D4 light to flash code/s. See DIY section for further guidance.

Drain and replace fluid w/ new Honda AT fluid. Too cheap a fix not to try.

You should be able to find a good used trans w/ low miles at reasonable price and have installed. I would guess $1000-$1200 all in. Check car-part.com for a used trans near your location, go by and inspect for appearance and storage care.

good luck

Old 10-27-2008, 09:18 PM
pkovo
Unregistered

Thanks. I came across the instructions on how to jump the plug and get codes. Bacause I didn't get any lights, I figured probably no codes. However I'll definitely give it a shot.

That's probably a good call on dumping and refilling the fluid too. Especially if I can't find anything else.

I'm fearful of changing out the tranny. Especially after reading how many replacent trannys failed on people, but I probably will take a look at prices and see what's available.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:04 PM

Hipkovo, your ATF should be drained and filled with new fluid every 30k miles. A friend of mine had the same symptom last month, we drained and filled it and now it shifts normal.
Mine is a '98 Accord LX 4 cyl auto with 277k miles, ATF was changed 20k 1st time with Honda ATF and every 30k there after. I used Honda ATF in the 1st 100k and thenswitched to Valvoline ATF for high mileage carand did not have any issue.
You can change the ATF yourself, raise the right side of the car where tire is just aboutto barely touch the ground andyou should seethetransmission plug, take out the drain plug (be sure to havesomething to catch the ATF coming out,lower the car until the old ATF is drained-the magnetic plug should be nasty and black with some metal shavings and be sure to clean off,raise the car up again andplug the transmission and lower the car, fill it with new ATF to the appropriate level.

good luck

Old 10-28-2008, 08:22 AM
pkovo
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: noehjuan01

Hipkovo, your ATF should be drained and filled with new fluid every 30k miles. A friend of mine had the same symptom last month, we drained and filled it and now it shifts normal.
Mine is a '98 Accord LX 4 cyl auto with 277k miles, ATF was changed 20k 1st time with Honda ATF and every 30k there after. I used Honda ATF in the 1st 100k and thenswitched to Valvoline ATF for high mileage carand did not have any issue.
You can change the ATF yourself, raise the right side of the car where tire is just aboutto barely touch the ground andyou should seethetransmission plug, take out the drain plug (be sure to havesomething to catch the ATF coming out,lower the car until the old ATF is drained-the magnetic plug should be nasty and black with some metal shavings and be sure to clean off,raise the car up again andplug the transmission and lower the car, fill it with new ATF to the appropriate level.

good luck
Thanks for the procedure, much appreciated!!

Old 05-20-2009, 08:34 PM
pkovo1
Unregistered

Just figured I would post the status. I never did anything more to my car, just disconnected the shift solenoids, checked the resistence (they were good) and plugged them back in. Change the battery, and the transmission problems went away for almost 7 months and 10,000 miles.

Now on the way home from work tonight the problems came back. pretty much just as suddenly as in October. I haven't had a chance to try much, but hopefully I'll be able to do something to squeek another 7 months/10k miles out of this thing.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:44 PM

It does not sound like tranny death to me either if the fluid is clear and doesn't have a burnt smell.
This may sound weird, but have the alternator checked at an AutoZone or similar parts store (free). A lady at my office had a 2000 EX V6 and her trans was acting fairly similar to what you describe. At first I told her it could be a solenoid, or the trans was toast (because of the infamy.) One day the car died. The dealership told her she needed a new trans. i told her not to let them touch it and to take it to a more trusted mechanic. He checked the alternator (tested bad) replaced it and all the problems went away. The car had a little over 100k on it.

I'm not telling you to replace the alternator - just have it tested for free. You can't beat free diagnosis.

Quick Reply: Transmission diagnosis