General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Accord / Radiator Fan doesn't work unless Air Conditioning is on. PLS HELP

Old 07-01-2008, 05:59 PM
scansbar
Unregistered
Default 97 Accord / Radiator Fan doesn't work unless Air Conditioning is on. PLS HELP

Guys,Thegarage can't seem to figure this one out so any advise would be amazing since I got to travel to Boston this weekend.Here is a little back ground (please keep in mind that I'm a rookie so bare with me)I have a 1997 Honda Accord with Air conditioning. It has an air conditioning fan and a Radiator fan.My radiator fan does not come on when my car reaches a very hot temperature. It will only turn on (work) if I turn on the Car's Air Conditioning and then both fans will work.If my car is hot and I turn off the car and remove my keys, the Radiator fan will come on (work) until it is cool but as soon as I start the car the fan does not work.If anyone has an idea, I left my car at the garage in hope that I can suggest a few things as they are doing some research as well and need to give them some possible solutions by Wednesday.I know that they should figure this out but I don't have time to bring it anywhere else and judging by some feedbacks on this site some foks know 110% more that these mechanics. If you know the solution and can provide some tips I swear I will take my car to your place or who ever you recommend but this time I'm stuck with these folks and dont' feel like spending $$$ to rent a car since I'm already in the whole.THANK YOU, honestly thank you.[/align]

Old 07-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 97 Accord / Radiator Fan doesn't work unless Air Conditioning is on. PLS HELP

It is likely the engine coolant temperature sensor (ECT) A or the wiring. The ECT sensor that is on top of the thermostat housing that controls the fans when the car is running. It is very simple to replace.

As for the wiring: The two wire colors that go to the ECTA connector are green and black. The green wire should have 12V on it with the key turned to the II position. The black wire should have continuity to ground.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:19 AM
scansbar
Unregistered
Default RE: 97 Accord / Radiator Fan doesn't work unless Air Conditioning is on. PLS HELP

Unfortunately that didn't work. We even changed the Rad fan control mod. Thank you responding.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

There are a couple of coolant temperature sensors. If you short the connector to ECT-A sensor, the fans should turn on when the car is started.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Your post is confusing. When engine coolant temp overheats, does only radiator fan fail to run and condensor (ac fan) runs? Please clarify.

good luck

Old 05-18-2009, 03:06 AM
YunG OnE
Unregistered

I have a 93 accord lx and it runs hot also and the fan dont run when the car start only when its hot and idles hard after i let it sit when i turn the ignition on

Old 05-18-2009, 03:24 AM
YunG OnE
Unregistered

I have a 93 accord lx and it runs hot also and the fan dont run when the car start only when its hot and idles hard after i let it sit when i turn the ignition on whats the problem