General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Torque Settings for Transmission Fluid Drain Plug and Oil Pan Drain Plug Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:23 AM
jon02accord
Unregistered
Default Torque Settings for Transmission Fluid Drain Plug and Oil Pan Drain Plug Needed

So I have decided to finally start doing the basic stuff myself after the local honda dealer raised their rates on services. They no longer offer the 18.95 oil change and tire rotation (yeah, I know, sick deal).

I am looking for the torque settings for the 4cyl 2002 LX automatic transmission fluid drain plug and the oil pan drain plug.

yes, I know to only use honda ATF.

I have been searching for a few hours and the search functions blows.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-26-2008, 07:53 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Torque Settings for Transmission Fluid Drain Plug and Oil Pan Drain Plug Needed

The search function actually works very well .... next time try to use as few words as possible.

As for your question regarding the torque on the plugs, I'm not sure what it is supposed to be, but you should be using new crush washers when you change the fluids. Tighten the plugs until the crush washer expands and feels snug ..... that's it! No torque wrench necessary. The crush washers cost about a buck a piece.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Default RE: Torque Settings for Transmission Fluid Drain Plug and Oil Pan Drain Plug Needed

Crush washers = $0.50 each at my dealer. Haha Falkore =

I've never used a torque wrench on mine. The online manual I used to use in the DIY section doesn't work anymore
I'm not even sure if there are torque specs on them. Just tighten them real tight with a wrench, lower the car, fill with oil, crank the car, and look for leaks. If there are no leaks, you tightened it enough. Just don't overtighten and strip the threads.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:34 AM

I wouldn't say REAL tight .... you can feel the washer crush and then it will tighten easily for about a half turn and get tight. No need to overtighten it.

Jon .... are you having fun with your new cartoons?!?! I bet that's all Lucy lets you watch these days!!!

I guess I got ripped off ..... or maybe the prices are just higher where I live (in civilization!) I think they were $1.30 the last time I got them.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:38 AM

Dang you are getting ripped off!

I'm just pickin at youI forget you are a yankee where everything that should cost $1 costs like $3. must suck. of course, you do get paid more for your job I'm sure than you would make if you lived down here doing the same job. if you send me $1 I'll send you a crush washer and save you $0.30....wait a minute, nevermind, the postage would run you more. Sctatch that thought.
that's an old smiley anyway.
Lucy likes to watch Horsepower TV with me on Saturday or Sunday mornings! I think she likes Top Gear too. I turned on Spongebob once, but I don't think she liked it very much. I think she preferres car shows. I guess maybe I'll find out for sureonce she can talk.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:42 AM

Didn't I tell you she'd be born with a torque wrench in her hand!!!! That's funny .... it's probably more that she senses that you enjoy the car shows more, but either way, if she's happier with the car shows, it's better for you! When she learns to talk, she's going to teach you about cars since she can learn everything she sees and hears! Just wait until she gets on the internet!!! Look out, there's a new Danika Patrick in town!!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:45 AM

The internet will be off limits for quite a while. Too many creepo's out there. I don't want to have to hunt some creep down and lay the pimp hand on him[sm=pimp.gif]

Old 03-26-2008, 10:51 AM

Pimp hand?!?!? Don't you have a CCW license?

Old 03-26-2008, 10:52 AM

Use only Honda ATF???

I use Mobil Synthetic ATF in my 94 Accord EX since the first change without any problems. Runs and shifts great no matter how hot or COLD it is outside. Just clean off the magnet on the plug and refil.

I bet it's also cheaper then the Honda brand and its top quality synthetic fluid suitable even for Catipilar bulldozers and machinery.

Michael

Old 03-26-2008, 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

Pimp hand?!?!? Don't you have a CCW license?
Nah I'm too cheap to pay the $100 fee.
Plus I don't need a gun.....