General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'96 Accord 5 speed radiator leak - is this an easy fix?

Old 12-24-2005, 02:10 AM
mrstangblb
Unregistered
Default '96 Accord 5 speed radiator leak - is this an easy fix?

I have had my '96 Accord LX 5 speed for about a month and have really enjoyed the 30 mpg! It's in great shape with only 98,000 miles on it, but today I noticed an antifreeze leak. I found the source, and it is a crack that is about 2 and a half inches long just below the top of the radiator.

I know this thing is plastic, so is there a good temporary fix to allow me to get around town easily? How much should a new radiator cost to replace it? Is it hard to put in for a medium-skilled mechanic like me? I have a Haynes manual, but I haven't had time to crack it open to see what this work entails.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated along with advice on where to get a quality radiator to replace this one that is cracked. Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas!

Barry

Old 12-24-2005, 02:30 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: '96 Accord 5 speed radiator leak - is this an easy fix?

replace radiator,,, look online who has a non factory radiator in your neighborhood ,,,,,cost should be around 100-120 dolars.. the job is easy especialy if you got a 5sp you don't have to worry about cooler lines and that gives u a bit more room.........

if you plan on doing it yourself let me know i will walk you through it

Old 12-24-2005, 12:52 PM
mrstangblb
Unregistered
Default RE: '96 Accord 5 speed radiator leak - is this an easy fix?

Yep.... I went and bought one this morning from my cousin at Advance Auto Parts for $160, and in the meantime I intend on globbing some of the high temp epoxy into it today to make the rounds to my Aunt's and my relatives' tomorrow. I'm not losing a lot of antifreeze thankfully because the crack is nearer the top, but it still sprays a little.

I may take you up on the offer about instructions on how to put it in. I have a manual and a little CD with instructions on it on how to do it, but I haven't had a chance to take a look yet. Surely it can't be too hard. I've done a few radiator jobs in the past but not on a foreign car.

Have a GREAT Christmas and thanks very much for the help!

Barry