General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2005 Accord 2.4 Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 05:13 PM
livewire
Unregistered
Default 2005 Accord 2.4 Check Engine Light

I just had autozone read the codes as I had the check engine light appear. They reset the codes after telling me the coolant temperature sensor and the intake air temp sensor codes came up on the scan..........Should I look into replacing these sensors or drive the car for awhile to see if the codes pop back up down the road????? I am accustomed to working on old cars , so this computer diagnosing area is somewhat new to me .... Any help would be appreciated........

Old 01-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Default RE: 2005 Accord 2.4 Check Engine Light

i would look into replacing the sensors just to get rid of the CEL for good haha, weird these r popping up on an 05

Old 01-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest waiting and if CEL comes on again, getting the specific code/s that were read (Pnnnn). In some cases, the code may not indicate a sensor fault, but rather a wiring or connector fault. Post the code/s for further help.

good luck

Old 01-02-2008, 07:07 PM

usually i get the coolant temp sensor 2 located in the lower radiator tank go bad.

as far as the intake temp sensor, wait for the cel to come back on. then read the codes. if both come back on again, inspect the wiring of the intake temp sensor. if there is no damage consider replacing it if you don't have the tools to test it. if you do have the tools(wrench or socket, stove, and a digital multimeter) let me know, i'll tell you how to test it.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:27 PM
livewire
Unregistered

CEI just popped up again.........Have to get the codes read again and go from there. Does anyone know where the engine coolant sensor islocated ? I thought I seen one in the head but am not sure if this is correct or not.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:30 PM
livewire
Unregistered

Hondatech, you say the sensor is in the radiator...and yes I do have a multimeter and such to test the air intake sensor if you have a procedure,,,,,,,, that would be very helpful...Thank you much

Old 01-03-2008, 05:45 PM

did both sensors recode?

i'll need you to post the exact codes for proper diagnosis though, even if they tell you it's a manufacturer specific code. just ask for the numbers(i.e. P0505)

Old 01-04-2008, 08:50 AM
livewire
Unregistered

I just completed a scan on the comp. again..........the only code that came up this time was P2183 Engine Coolant Temp Sensor 2 circuit range/performance.........I believe this sensor is in the lower part of the radiator.......Would Advance auto or autozone be a good choice for this sensor or should I purchase OEM Honda parts????The connection looked clean and without any corrosion etc.....

Old 01-04-2008, 07:19 PM

i'd definately go with a honda part, and it is in the lower radiator tank. when they go bad the resistance changes and in my experience show -20 to -40F all the time on the scantool.

however, a note on the diagnosis aspect states to troubleshoot p0111(iat sensor range problem) if it's stored with p2183. do you remember the exact code that was stored originally?
diag on p0111 is check for any loose terminals and the iat/maf sensor or corrosion, then if ok, remove the iat/maf sensor and allow it to cool to room temp. note the room temp. reconnect it but don't install it - so it's laying on the (cold) engine. turn the key on. using a scantool compare the iat reading with the room temp reading. if it differs by 5.4F replace the iat/maf sensor and verify the repair. if it's the same it was an intermittent failure.

either way, since p2183 recoded most likely the sensor is gone anyway.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:35 PM
livewire
Unregistered

I do not have the original scan codes as it was done at autozone and the guy was not very cooperative with the task....Today a friend of mine brought his scanner to work to retrieve the single code this time...........The reason I thought about going with autozone is my local honda dealer does not have the part in stock,,,, maybe I should wait for the honda part and this should not hurt the accord engine running this way??? It does seem to be using more fuel though... Sounds like I will need to borrow my friends scan tool to do some work with the air intake sensor(mass air)..........Does the scan tool give you the value the iat sensor is reading??? Thanks again for your help...

Quick Reply: 2005 Accord 2.4 Check Engine Light