General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cost to replace timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:54 PM
Default Cost to replace timing belt

Approximately how much does it cost for a honda repair shop to replace the timing belt on a 1991 accord 2.2 or is it worth it to just do it yourself. Thanks

Old 12-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Default RE: Cost to replace timing belt

Honda dealerships generally ask $600-$700, depending on what is being replaced and location. Of course if timing belt is being replace then it is a perfect time to replace water pump and other items, so it can be well worth the money. But is a fair price? Well some places will do it for about $400-500. But I don't know what parts they'll be using, and that's the nice thing about having the dealership doing it: its done right and done with good parts.

By the way, can anyone tell me how much parts will be for timing belt, water pump, and associated gaskets + extra parts will be for this work? I plan to do it myself someday in the spring and going to be using Honda parts of course. Thanks.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:52 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I went to O'Reilly and got their Accord T-belt kit for $210. Came with t-belt and balance belts, brand name, forget which one but the were good and 2 tensioners. I also got a new water pump for $40 and threw that in. I guess if you want to replace anything else you could swap in a new oil pump, but i'm not sre if that is t=belt driven on your accord.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I have used aftermarket parts; T-belt, GMB waterpump, and Koyo tensioners (Koyo is OEM supplier I think) w/o problems. The Honda waterpump is a good product, and GMB may not be quite as good, but if you replace at 90K miles, I think it will be fine. My Honda water pump made it to 190K miles, when I did the 2nd Tbelt change.

Many don't replace the tensioner, which I have found from examination of removed tensioner bearing (grease was nearly dry) to be a possible cause of Tbelt failure if you tried to run for a 2nd Tbelt period.

Check ebay for some good package deals on Tbelt parts.

good luck

Old 12-15-2007, 03:55 PM
sunny393
Unregistered

You can go to http://www.southbayhonda.com/. Then click on PARTS/SERVICES from the left menu. After that click on ORDER PARTS. Follow the instruction and you will have access to the entire parts database with prices.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:43 AM

Depends on what type of person you are. If you feel that for $600 or $700 you would rather try it yourself. I have done a few timing belts. There's is nothing too difficult with replacing a timing belt. You do need a few extra things though. The other parts (water pump, balancers etc...) are all very easy to replace. It's more of a question of how much time you are willing to spend. Mine is coming up and I definitely am going to do mine myself. I hate paying other people for something I could do myself.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I got a coupon from my dealer last week.

"Free timing belt with purchase of Timing Belt replacement labor."

I had to chuckle.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:52 PM

LOL that'll save you a whole $70. I am using a Dayco timing set and its working quite fine.