General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering flush.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Default power steering flush.....

So, hypothetically, lets say somehow my power steering fluid has become contaminated.....Does anyone know how much a power steering flush usually costs? Im really at a loss. And how long can i drive with contaminate fluid without causing serious damage? it's been a couple of days. thanks a bunch.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: power steering flush.....

Depends on the contaminant. If it's hydrochloric acid, I wouldn't wait.

If you used the wrong PS fluid (non-honda), you could wait a few days. PS flush is easy for any tech, I would guess 1/2-1 hr labor + $10 PS fluid.

good luck

Old 11-04-2007, 04:51 PM

Thanks a lot. I'm going tomorrow. I just wanted to make sure a few days wouldn't do irreversable damage. It's not hydrochloric acid....it's brake fluid. dont ask.......

Old 11-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

brake fluid is corrosive. get it done asap.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure you tell them it's brake fluid in there.

I think (not sure?) that brake fluid will NOT mix with the PS fluid. Like oil & water they'll stay separate. It might require lots of flushing, more than a 'normal' dirty system.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:56 PM

I'm so concerned, I love my little car......I'm going first thing in the morning, though. I think my boyfriend has mistaken brake fluid for transmission fluid. I believe transmission fluid and power steering fluid are somewhat interchangeablein some cars. Thanks for your help, guys.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yes they are, as their both basically hydraulic fluid. note that its SOME CARS not hondas, hondas take special hydraulic fluid, dont ask me why.

and yea brake fluid doesnt mix with hydraulic fluid, in fact it looks exactly like oil in water. One time my floor jack was really low and all i had lying around was brake fluid. so i topped it off with brake fluid and it looked exactly like oil in water. very, very dark water.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:10 AM

My regular mechanic does not have the machine to flush it. Now I am going somewhere else and I'm probably about to get raped, so wish me luck. You know how those mechanics can be.....

Old 11-05-2007, 02:49 PM

If I were you, I would call around town to get some price quotes. Before I took it anywhere, I would probably buy some real power steering fluid. Take a turkey baster and suck the old fluid out of the power steering reservoir (if the brake fluid won't mix, it should float on top of the ps fluid). Refill with power steering fluid, then take it to a shop.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:34 PM

Ok, I got it done and picked the car up. She turns like a dream. And $80.00 is a small price to pay compared to the cost of replacing the power steering pump, seals, and everything. Thanks so much for your input.

Quick Reply: power steering flush.....