General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Accord EX Map Light Button

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 09:54 PM
mf193
Unregistered
Default 1999 Accord EX Map Light Button

Hi all, my first post on these forums. I looked and couldn't find this topic anywhere so I appologize if it's a repost. Anyway,

I have a 1999 Accord Coupe EX. The driver's side map light button has ceased to function. Basically, when operating properly it click when you push it and the light turns on, but all of a sudden it no longer clicks and the light doesn't turn on, so I'm guessing something up in there is broken. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows how to either fix this (I know it seems a small issue but drive me CRAZY) or at least remove the panel it's located in (the one with the sunglasses holder, etc). Maybe I can just cheaply purchase a new button mechanism? I feel like Honda would overcharge me a boatload for something so trivial.

Thanks all!

[IMG]local://upfiles/11998/1AC4D60710AA42719BE57530B2C64C23.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-27-2007, 08:43 AM
Default RE: 1999 Accord EX Map Light Button

1st of all: this is a good post. You told us the year model and trim of your car, you searched the forum first,AND you posted a picture so everyone knows what you are talking about.
I researched this in an online manual (from our DIY section) but I was unsuccessful. They tell you about how to remove most of the interior except for this piece.
I am at work now, but I have a Haynes at home. However, I am not too sure I remember seeing anything in the Haynes about this. I will check it anyway.
Hopefully another member who has removed this piece before can tell you how it's done.
In the meantime, how about you introduce yourself in our "new member" area? Oh yeah...[sm=welcomesign.gif]. I hope we can answer your question soon.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:15 PM
mf193
Unregistered

Thanks for the great welcome!

I got fed up with the internet and decided with the long weekend to see if I could just tackle this myself. It turns out the entire unit is held in with 4 screws. Two are located up inside the sunglasses compartment, while the other two are accessible if you pop off the clear plastic light shield. Upon removing them the entire upper console comes down out of the ceiling. Upon inspection I found to my joy that the switch was actually not broken, but the entire lighting unit (which is a separate piece of plastic seperate from the beige housing) had cracked and was no longer securely fastened to the housing. That meant everytime I was pushing the button, it was simply pushing the lighting unit up into the housing instead of pushing back against my finger...ie the button wasnt actually getting pushed. To rememdy this I drilled a small hole on each side (there are small plastic tabs jutting into the lighting area, perfect for drilling). I then simply put a screw up into that hole which connected nicely with a small plastic washer (seemingly needless but perfect for my purposes) on the other side of the unit. It is now extremely securely fastened together (dare I say better than Honda's job). Then you just pop the unit back into the ceiling.

If anyone else has this issue, please let me know. It's seemingly simple but takes a little ingenuity too.

I'm sorry about the lack of photos. My camera is on the fritz...but I'd be happy to help anyone if they need it.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:53 AM

Great! I'm glad to hear you fixed your problem. Thanks for posting the solution as well. I was unable to find any information in my Haynes manual at home on this subject either. (I need to buy a Helm.) I had a sneaking suspicion there would be some kind of attachment point behind the sungless holder.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

great posts....you did what i was going to suggest...just pull it apart and see whats wrong!

Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 AM

It must be a common problem.......thanks for the fix!

Old 11-14-2013, 03:02 AM
Thumbs up Don't waste time trying to use Super Glue

Once I removed the map light/sunglass holder unit, everything made sense on how you fixed it. However, I had some high quality super glues I thought might work and hoped to skip the drilling for the screw. Well, none of the glues worked. Just thought I mention this to help future DIY Honda owners save some time.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:45 AM

I am excited to see that your solution was exactly like mine. My 1998 Honda Accord Sunglasses/Map light console was not working when I clicked on the lights. I knew it wasn't a fuse, because the door and other interior lights worked. So, I removed the console, and found that the backing is what the clickers click against, and they are held in place by 2 plastic hollow posts that are melted down on the back side to hold the backing plate in place. In my car, those 2 posts had broken off, just like yours. I noticed that the hollow posts allowed a #6 screw to be inserted, so I went and bought 2 #6 machine screws x 3/4 inches. I already had the nuts to fit. I drilled holes, just like you did, and secured that backing in place. I agree - better than the original design. I would recommend inch long screws if I was to do it over, because I had just enough length on the 3/4 inch screws to hold the nut flush with the tip of the screw. Anyway, I hope this helps someone in the future.

Last edited by bshowen; 12-09-2014 at 11:53 AM.