General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

fly wheel spinning, crank shaft not.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Default fly wheel spinning, crank shaft not.

guys i just got a 92 accord ex 2dr, the problem is the crank shaft is not turning, when u try to start i can see the stater spinning the fly wheel but not turning the crank shaft, funny thing is if i turn the crank shaft by hand i can c the fly wheel turning this doesnt make sense too me, for those who thinks timing belt borken i have the timing covers off so its not, if u guys know this engine there is a rectangual hole close to the start that u can see the starter spinning the fly wheel. any ideas would be help full .

Old 08-05-2007, 01:01 AM
Default RE: fly wheel spinning, crank shaft not.

if the flywheel is spinning but not the crankshaft, then that means the crankshaft must have broke at the flywheel end.
it is physically impossible for the crankshaft to slip, because its bolted on to the flywheel with many bolts.
have u tried to see if u can spin the crankshaft, while holding the flywhelel still, with a big pry bar or something, through the rectangular hole?
if u can do that, then the crank shaft is probably borken.

[hr]

eddie@urbanimport.com <~~~Your D2 Racing Sport Coilover hook up man

mentality
(trial)
[/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b][/b]

2 posts [100%]
8-4-2007

«Re: (Eddiebx)
« » 10:57 PM 8/4/2007
Reply Edit
[hr]

no i havent tried that yet, i'll do it first thing 2morrow, im thinking u might be rite that the fly wheel is broken, i can tell u that # 1 and 3 piston are pumping if i move the crank as for the other 2 cylinders i didnt check so it's nearly impossible for the crankshaft to be broken, im thinking it's broken in a way that even if i turn the crank shaft with my hands its still hooking partially on the flywheel but when the starter gives the flywheel it full throttle its slipping. if this is the case whats the ezist way to replace this fly wheel (no hoist) and what can cause a fly wheel to brake like this?

Old 08-05-2007, 07:07 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I would expect tot se a broken flex plate or flywheel. Is it an auto or manual?

Old 08-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if it is A/T tranny it could be the flex plate as Chio sugggested , but if it is a manual tranny I have never seen a flywheel break but it could be possible ... does the car make any noise as you are trying to start it ??

and if the crank does not turn , timing belt does not have anything to do with it , crank turns even if timing belt is broken , also make sure to look at the center bolt of the crank to see if crank spins and not the crank pulley ,, pulley could be broken ...

Old 08-05-2007, 01:52 PM

guys it's the flange of the crankshaft that's broken off, i stuck a pry bar into the hole and brance the flange while turning the crank shaft and the flange is not turning, so the stater is spinning a flex plate with a broken crank shaft flange on it, now i was going to pull the engine to replace the flex plate but since its the crankshaft how much difficult is it with the engine out. it's a auto trans

Old 08-05-2007, 07:00 PM
junior66780
Unregistered

I've seen these break the flex plate center off before due to misalignment from missing dowel pins. I'd pull the trans to confirm.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:30 PM

you have to take the trans out no matter what... after that, changing the crank is a matter of dropping the oil pan. you dont need to take the motor out. it will also be easier to move the pistons around if you take the spark plugs out, and relieve the compression in the cylinders. after you blast of the crank pulley nut, i believe its easiest to use a 3 jaw puller on that bad boy

[hr]

1999 Accord EX coupe I/H/E

Eddiebx
Honda-Tech Member

2794 posts [100%]
5-31-2002

«
« » 6:39 AM 8/6/2007
Reply Edit
[hr]

yep, drop the tranny, then u can get the crank out after u drop the oil pan.
personally i would pull out all the spark plugs and take a peek in and make sure all the pistons are moving up and down properly. god knows where else that crank is snapped. if u see some are not moving. i wouldnt waste time dropping the crank, it would be time for a new motor.

[hr]

eddie@urbanimport.com <~~~Your D2 Racing Sport Coilover hook up man

mentality
(trial)

5 posts [100%]
8-4-2007

«Re: (Eddiebx)
« » 10:29 AM 8/6/2007
Reply Edit
[hr]

i would assume all piston are pumping because #1 is closest to the flange and thats pumping but i will still check, what can cause a crank shaft to brake like this, isnt the flex plate much weaker than the crank, how hard is it to replace once i have the tranny and oil pan out. the car is in good shape im an apprentice at chrysler i'll definately have to use the hoist at the shop for this job is it wroth it?

Old 08-12-2007, 06:43 PM

i was reading the instructions on autozone for removing the crankshaft, it says u have to remove the engine, remove oil pump and front and rare balance shafts, is this correct. to me it would of been more ez to just remove the tranny and pull the crank shaft from the bottom, another thing is when looking through that hole on the engine i can see the flex plate to the left but theres also another part there thats a little smaller than the flex plate there, and i doubt it to be the crankshaft flange, on these engines does the crank flange bolt directly to the flex plate or is there another part between.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:19 PM

im really getting confuse here, first off all the plate with the teeth that the starter spins is called the fly wheel rite? plus there's a flexplate between the flywheel and the crank flange? i wish i had a pic of what this accord flywheel looks like because from looking through the hole i can see the teeth or the fly wheel to the left and attach to it on the right is a round shape pully looking like wheel just a little smaller than the flywheel, i was thinking that was the flange of the crank shaft but a crank flange isnt that big so im guessing what im seeing is part of this flywheel, then this flywheel is not flat so so the the flexplate is after this then it could be a good chance the flex plate is broken and not the crank.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

I would go to hondapartsdeals.com and look at the pics that they have on there to identify the components. Also, go to the DIY section for online manuals.

There is a link for hondahookup.com that has a shop manual for a 90 Accord, which should be similar to yours.

Quick Reply: fly wheel spinning, crank shaft not.