General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

vent shut valve and canister

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Default vent shut valve and canister

i got a check engine code, the mechanic told me i need to replace the vent shut valve and the canister (something to do with pressurizing the gas tank) anyways he said that this doesn't affect the gas milage or the proformance and i dont need to replace it. What do you guys thik, it is pretty expensive should i replace it or not? what are the pro's and cons', thanks
by the way there are no emmisions test here in quebec, canada
1998 honda accord 2.3l v-tech, 4 door

Old 07-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Default RE: vent shut valve and canister

I'd try a new gas cap first, then clear the code and see if it goes away, a leaky gas cap can cause those codes

Old 07-14-2007, 02:48 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty
a leaky gas cap can cause those codes
A leaky gas cap can cause one code. There are about 2 dozen evap problems that can cause codes.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:58 PM

Read this post

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_52038/tm.htm

Old 07-14-2007, 08:16 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

Read this post

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_52038/tm.htm
Been there. Canister vent shut valves cause code p1457. A loose gas cap will cause a p1456. There are alot of other possible causes for each. What code does this car have?

Old 07-16-2007, 03:11 PM

Looks like we have the same car, basically. The same thing happened with mine. Code P1457. The first thing I did was try a new gas cap -nothing. I check my mileage every tank, and saw no change, so ignored it as long as possible. But here in Wisconsin, we have the emission tests every two years, and after ignoring it for 20 months I had to do something.

I replaced the shut-valve. The only reason to replace the cannister is that the screws holding the valve onto it are impossible to back out. Mine had to be drilled out, and mounted w/ bolts and nuts, and a huge tie-wrap. Cleared the code, and passed the test.

To answer your question; if I didn't have the emission test to contend w/, I would've left it alone.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

the mechanic lied to you, as long as there is a code stored in the ECU the computer runs the enginein a 'default' mode. Performance and Fuel Milage is affected.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:05 PM

ORIGINAL: hondadude

the mechanic lied to you, as long as there is a code stored in the ECU the computer runs the enginein a 'default' mode. Performance and Fuel Milage is affected.
For an evap code? No, I dont think so.There's no reason for it to affect the actual engine performance.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

I also don't think the EVAP codes put it in limp mode. That's not related to any engine-control sensors.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Chiovnidca

ORIGINAL: hondadude

For an evap code? No, I dont think so.There's no reason for it to affect the actual engine performance.
Werd,

I've had the code for 5-6 months now, not one problem w/ the car. Still get great gas mileage.

Quick Reply: vent shut valve and canister