Detailing Discuss detailing your Accord within.

What paint to use to paint rims?

Old 06-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Default What paint to use to paint rims?

Hi guys , i'm going to purchase some rims + tires used ... but his rims aren't shiny at all and it isnt the color i wished, but the price meeted my requirements ... i'm low on budget thats why ...

So my question is : What kind of paint can i use to paint the whole rim BLACK / GUNMETAL color?? I would like a solid reflective black ... Whats the paint called? My best choice of shop would be Renodepot , Canadian tire, wal-mart or something like that ... Thanks!

-Paint the whole 4 rims
-Paint the lugs (if possible)

***This is not my car, my car is an Accord 96 , but i just din't buy the rims yet , giving you guys an idea what black would look like.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: What paint to use to paint rims?

High temp paint? Spray it evenly on?

Old 06-09-2007, 08:04 PM

Try Dupli-Color wheel paint. It works great.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:28 PM

where can you get that Dupli-color paint at? amd how would you paint it on? Just spray it or is there more to it?

and what kind of rims are they? cuz i think the type of paint u use has to do with the material you are painting on.

im thinking about doing the same also...let me know how it goes. and what you did.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:06 AM

If Possible, I would not use any paint to change the color... Instead I would try to find a close by business that specialize in Powder Coating. Its Much more Durable and will resist chipping and scratches Many x's more than paint... Not to mention they sand blast them 1st to get all dirts/grime/and original color/luster material so they have a Raw/Clean surface to work off of.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10481/734D9E1F49224FB881DEB1F2A6A7F3DA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-29-2007, 11:35 AM

That was going to be my suggestion as well... see how much a place would charge you to powder coat it, you'll be much happier with the results. If you do decide to spray paint, then don't forget to prep the surface, clean it really well and use a low grit sandpaper to make sure it's rough enough to stick...

Old 06-29-2007, 03:31 PM

Powdercoat is best for sure. But just plain old Rustoleum works great too! I painted a set of wheels with it and they went over a year with no chips at all.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:56 AM
Almost A Senior Member

go powdercoat for sure. theres lots of places that do it, for not that much money. and you wont have to worry about the durability of spray paint...

Old 07-04-2007, 02:49 PM

I'd say powdercoat as well, sounds much more reliable than the spray paint.

By the way, that car looks hot. I'm thinking of some decals like that too. In black though, since my car's white.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

clean it really well and use a low grit sandpaper to make sure it's rough enough to stick...
well, low grit is good for primer, if you shoot a paint over that you'll see a lot of nasty scratches
I'd spend a bit more and do powder coating and have a great paint for years, just my opinion

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What paint to use to paint rims?